Monday, December 23, 2019

December 23 – “Blast from the past … literally”


Our big news from yesterday was our adventure into Houston.  As the result of an incredibly generous gift from a Seasider, we were treated to a performance by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the Toyota Center. 

Now, I can’t really remember the last time I went to a rock concert.  Maybe it was a presentation of portions of Jesus Christ Superstar back sometime between January and August of my senior year in high school.  I’m pretty sure Chris and I never went to one.  She was more of a country music kind of gal.  But I have certainly never been to a performance like this one.

The first half of the show was a loosely connected collection of songs and some Christmas carols tied together with a narrative that rhymed about some guy meeting an angel in a bar.  That story line was really hard for me to follow.  The music in this part was pretty good, though.  I especially enjoyed their rendition of Joy to the World.  By far the best thing they did.  It was loud, though.  Really loud.  A veritable blast from the past … literally.  I had to just take off my hearing aids.  Guess that officially makes me an old geezer … Like I wasn’t already aware.

The second half of the show was a full-on rock concert.  Lots of pyrotechnics and a very cool, huge electricity spewing orb that rose from the floor and spit fire as well as arcs of electricity amidst the lasers and flashing lights.  Oh, and speaking of lasers, we were warned not to attempt to use any binoculars.  Those things can put your eye out quicker than a BB gun in a Christmas movie.  There were some songs that just didn’t appeal to me.  They came across as depressing, or at least not appropriate for the type of show we were expecting.  But all in all, it was an amazing display.

Now I do have to speak to the venue.  I learned something.  I will never attend a Houston Rockets basketball game there.  Nothing to do with basketball, other than I don’t like whatever it is they try to play in the NBA.  It’s just that those seats are incredibly uncomfortable.  Now, I’m not a very tall guy, but I had virtually no leg room.  My knees were very cramped, and my feet couldn’t move more than an inch or two from side to side.  I guess they expect people at NBA games to be on their feet cheering.  My new knee got so uncomfortable that I had to get up, causing the five people between us and the aisle to have to leave their seats and wait in that aisle for me to get out.  I ended up walking around in the back of the room for a long time just to recover enough so I could sit with Chris for the last part of the show.  And I wasn’t alone.  I never verbalized the purpose of my presence, but there were certainly more than a few others who had made their way to the back for the exact same reason. 

So … good and bad.  A metaphor of life.  But definitely an experience I’m glad we had the opportunity to undertake.  Thanks so much to our benefactor.

Luke 2:14 says, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

Father, thank you for our gracious benefactor and her heart to share this amazing experience with us.  Bless her with a beautiful Christmas.  Amen.


No comments: