Friday, March 9, 2018

March 9 – “The alluring mystique”


I tried something the other night that my grandmother used to say to us.  I know.  Sounds scary, right?  It was cousins sleepover night, so there were children all over the house on the floor and on couches – anywhere but actually in beds.  We ended up with two of the female persuasion on the floor next to our bed (Cailyn and Noa).  It all started off quite sweetly.  Cailyn, who had to get some sleep because she had school the next day (her spring break isn’t until next week), read Noa a Bible story and the two of them held hands and Cailyn prayed.  Talk about a priceless moment.  After that Cailyn was pretty much ready to conk out.  She had been up early for school, had played a softball game, and as I said, had to up early again for school the next day (Pastries for Padres Day, in fact.  Her dad was coming down from the fire station to meet her at the school).  Not so much Noa.  She tossed and turned and giggled.  Now I didn’t mind that so much, and would probably have ignored it, but we did have that obligation to make sure Cailyn at least showed up for school.  Finally Noa made an attempt to sneak around the foot of the bed.  Not sure where she was going, but I sat up and waited.  Finally I channeled my inner Nani, stifled my urge to chuckle, and sternly queried, “Noa, do you want me to spank your fanny?”  She stood and looked at me in utter disbelief.  She slowly staggered back to her pillow and buried her head.  Chris whispered that she was crying.  Now wait a minute.  All I did was ask a question.  And all she had to do was answer it.  If she had said “No,” I would have said, “Oh, OK,” we both would have laughed, and all would be well.  But no.  I get a barrage of tears instead.  When she rolled over and looked up at Chris, good ol’ Nana invited her to come into the bed with us.  And in Nana’s arms, she was asleep in seconds. 

So here’s my dilemma.  Do I worry about our relationship?  Are we still OK?  Will she still love me in the morning?  Or on the other hand … it worked.  It actually worked.  She got quiet and fell asleep and Cailyn had enough energy to make it to school the next day.  Way to go, Inner Nani.  I pondered the question for a good minute or two (at least until I finished the crossword puzzle I was working on).  And then I, too, succumbed to the exhaustion of the day, and slept.

So here’s the rest of the story.  When Noa woke up in the morning she stumbled into my office … and crawled up into my lap for a hug.  And after they left around lunchtime, when I ventured back into my office to begin the process of straightening up, I found a note on my desk from Noa.  It read, “(picture of a heart) I DadDad.”  Hey, I used to get word placement mixed up a lot, too, and she’s just four years old.  So I guess we’re all good. 

But I have to say, I just don’t understand you girls.  Never have.  Never will.  It all part of your alluring mystique, I guess.

Psalms 37:4 says, “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

Father, thank you for those wonderful creations of yours called girls.  I know you love ‘em.  I do, too.  Amen.

No comments: