Saturday, March 3, 2018

March 3 – “The height of fashion”


Galveston has officially come of age.  Well, at least Galveston’s WalMart has.  What could I possibly mean by that?  Just wait.

We spent the day working hard out in the yard again.  Chris is systematically attacking the flowerbeds.  She has completed three of them in the back yard already, and they really do look nice.  I think I might get permission to play with my electric hedge trimmer today, so I am trying to behave the best I can.  It’s hard.  There is one main bush in the back that took the freeze really hard, but it’s not completely dead yet.  That one is on the list.  But the primary target is the stream of hedges in the front of the house hiding our pink brick wall.  Chris wants it knocked down a good six or eight inches in height.  Can’t wait.

So after a long hard day working outside like that, what better way to spend the evening than going grocery shopping at WalMart?  OK, I Cn think of several better ways, too, but we after our trip out West we didn’t have much food in the house.  Well, after we finished the grocery part of the shopping venture, we went over to the pharmacy area to get some of that liquid hand soap stuff they put in the squirty bottles in bathrooms nowadays.  Sadly, bar soap has been relegated to the shower unless you live in a really modern household where you have to learn how to use body wash and one of those scratchy things that hangs from the shower head.  Pass me the Dial, please.

As we turned the corner past the toy department, there it was.  One of the cutest little blue jean skirts I have ever seen walked by right in front of us.  Ok, I confess.  I looked.  But was cute.  About mid-thigh or a little longer.  The top was kind of a layered look, topped with a hoodie that went well with the skirt.  And the tights under the skirt simply made the outfit perfect.  Now, I’m no fashionista, to be sure (I don’t even know what that word means), but that outfit had to be right out of the fashion section of a catalogue somewhere.  Hulu LooRooHoo or maybe that stuttering company, J-J-J-J-Jill (I forget how many J’s).  Anyway, I was impressed. 

But here’s the thing.  I have seen outfits that looked very cute.  But few to none of them matched the emotional reaction I had with this one.  See … the one wearing the outfit was (I imagine you have guessed by now) a man.  But the most significant thing of all?  He was my age, or maybe a little older.  How inspiring is that?  Yes, folks, I think I might have a new hero.  I told Chris right then and there that I wanted to head over to the ladies department and check out the summer look for Galveston.  She refused my invitation. 

Psalms 36:5 says, “Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.”

Father, thank you for Spring and growth and unusual people.  You created them all.  Amen.

No comments: