Sunday, March 18, 2018

March 18 – “One in 40”


I received an interesting email yesterday.  It came through the church’s web site.  Seems a lady was interested in being a part of the Easter baptism service.  And not just her, but her sister as well.  I responded with the information and an explanation of what baptism means and how to become a Christian.  She assured me they would meet me at the church at 6 a.m. on Easter to talk about it further.  Exciting stuff.

I was the officiant at a memorial service in the morning.  The guy was a BOI, so I had a connection with him from the start, even though we never met.  From all the accolades he received, he must have been quite an individual.  Jokester, magician and musician all rolled into one.  I know his family and friends will miss him a lot.  The most moving part of the service, though, came when his Mom spoke from the podium.  She struggled through her prepared statements, but it was pretty impressive that she even made the attempt.  People can do amazing things in times of great stress. 

Chris disappeared on me at one point in the afternoon.  I checked for her outside, but she wasn’t there.  I finally found her asleep in the bedroom.  That’s usually a sign of extreme fatigue or she just doesn’t feel good.  Sadly, I’m afraid this time it was a bit of a combination. We decided to take it easy when she woke up.  A quick trip with Brennan across the street to see his newly planted roses.  Then Chris did some reading while I checked on the Texas teams still in the NCAA tournament.  And then we decided to watch a movie.  We have never see Justice League, the new DC movie, and I actually bought it last week when it came out on DVD.  So I made a quick trip to Whatburger so Chris wouldn’t have to cook anything, and we settled in. 

Actually I did have a fun little encounter while waiting in line at Whataburger.  A guy walked in behind me and called out, “Chaplain Vaughan.”  I turned to face him, and knew right away that I didn’t know him.  He hastened to add, “I don’t really know you.  The only reason I said that is because of …” At this I joined him for the finish of his sentence, “… It’s printed on the back of your/my hat.”  (I was wearing my fire department chaplain cap).  I greeted him, and he immediately rushed on (He was quite a jovial guy).  “I’m a believer, too,” he stated, “And I have a riddle for you.  True or false: There nothing that God cannot do.”  I answered, “Well, technically that it false.  God can’t do anything that is not in his nature.”  He went ballistic (in a good way).  He was overwhelmed with excitement.  “I have asked at least 40 people that question and you are the only one who has ever answered correctly.  God cannot sin.  He is the anti-sin.  It is just not in his nature to sin.  You got it right.  The only one out of 40.”  When he finally came up for air I assured him, “Well, I am used to being considered the exception to the rule.”  He shook my hand walked away, mumbling to himself, “He got it right.  First time out of 40 …” 

I picked up my order and headed back to the house.  Chris and I enjoyed watching the film about some other super heroes, some one-in-a-million super heroes.  But I knew in my heart that I was a one-in-forty super hero myself.  Save me a seat at that round table Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg.  I’m coming to the next meeting …

Psalms 37:37 says, “Consider the blameless, observe the upright; there is a future for the man of peace.”

Father, thank you for fun meetings with fellow believers.  Amen.

No comments: