Thursday, March 22, 2018

March 22 – “The great printer computer whisperer fail”


Here’s the latest on the Office Depot booklet printing, folding and stapling computer/printer team.  I had to make two more trips up there yesterday.  First, I returned a call from them.  Seems they were having some trouble (Imagine that) and needed me to do something.  I had no idea what she was requesting, however, so I told her I would come up to the store and she could tell me in person.  Fortunately the store is not but about a mile away, or we would already have more serious issues.  When I arrived she went into her second attempt at telling me what she needed for the printer’s computer to accept the document.  I finally stopped her and asked her to show me.  Ah.  Finally.  Their super-intelligent computer needed each page of the 8 ½ by 11 inch folded in half booklet (not each piece of paper, mind you.  Each numbered page of the document, itself) to be printed as an 8 ½ by 11 sheet in itself.  Apparently all the computer could comprehend was how to shrink that down into the proper formatting.  OK.  More work for me.

I went back home and set to work reformatting the document.  Amazing what a West Ender will do to keep from driving all the way downtown to the other print shop in town.  I increased the font size appropriately so that the shrinked copy would still be readable.  I gathered up the original copy I ran on my printer, made a PDF file and put it on a flash drive, and made a return trip.  The girl waiting on me was ecstatic.  I finally had given her what she needed.  Her boss told her to make me a copy so I could approve the job.  So she ran them through the good ol’ machine.  And it printed out the booklet … on that monstrously sized, 8 ½ by 16 inch paper.  She brought it over to show me that it had indeed sorted the pages properly (except for one little glitch that she assured me was fixed).  She then said they would get it down to the right size and take it from there.  I said, “I would like to see one that is the right size.”  Seemed like a reasonable request.  She loaded them back up.  And it printed out the booklet … on 8 ½ by 14 inch paper.  It didn’t look bad.  Just not the size we ordered.  That brought out a call for the big guns.  The mysterious Page would have to be involved in the process from here on out.  She is the printer computer whisperer who can get it to do anything.  Page would be able to get it right … when she comes on duty in another two hours.  Of course. 

Chris and I were in WalMart later in the afternoon when my phone rang.  On a hunch, I went ahead and answered.  It was … dun, dun, dun … Office Depot.  Seems Page was not as all-powerful as they had assumed.  She could only convince the computer to shrink as far as the 8 ½ by 14 inch paper.  Anything less was deemed impossible.  For them to do the order as I requested, they would have to run each page, then assemble, fold and staple each booklet by hand.  Horror of all horrors … the old-fashioned way.  And of course the increased manpower required to do such an unthinkable task would considerably raise the price of the job.  Right.  Their final offer was to run the print job at the already quoted price, but on the larger paper.  I honestly didn’t feel much up to arguing from a position somewhere between the pineapples and grapes.  We will have slightly larger song booklets for the sunrise service this year, folks.  Hope we can all see the print.  And maybe, just maybe, I will make the trek all the way downtown next year to that other print shop. 

Psalms 40:2 says, “He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.”

Father, please help those folks out with the print job.  No matter what, though, we will worship you on Easter.  Amen.

No comments: