Sunday, February 4, 2018

February 4 – “Never ending something …”

So what do you do on a miserable, chilly, wet day in Galveston?  Well, if you’re not planning to brave the elements and attend one or more of the Mardi Gras parades and events, you hang out inside and … get creative.

Cailyn was here with us in the morning until her Mom came to pick her up.  After a hearty breakfast of apple turnovers, the three of us played some pretty competitive games of Kings in the Corner.  That’s a modified solitaire card game, if you have never heard of it.  Lots of fun.  Zak and Caleb taught us that one.

When Cailyn left, Chris pulled out her quilting, so she was pretty well set for the rest of the day.  Well, except for the interlude when she swept the floors.  Sometimes dog hairs just get the best of her.  Since it was Saturday, that was my cue to pull out the teaching for Sunday and do some polishing.  Oh, I considered making a run over and watching some of the college softball games.  Briefly.  I briefly considered it.  Way too cold to play softball, much less sit and watch it. 

I did catch some basketball, though.  College games abound on TV on Saturdays, so I was just fine in that department.  Way better than the NBA and whatever game that is they claim to play.  You just can’t beat the exuberance of college athletics.

Oh, and movies.  We also watched two movies that we had never seen.  They were the first two in a trilogy called Maze Runner.  Bunch of immune teenagers in a futuristic society hold the key to saving the world from destruction by disease.  I really liked them both.  And we found out the last one is on its last leg at theaters right now, so it shouldn’t be long before it is on DVD or even Netflix.  Can’t wait to see the final chapter. 

OK, so much for the Sunday random snippets version.  Gotta go over that teaching again and get ready for church.  Great life, the ministry.  Never ending something, so you take the quiet days when you can.

Psalms 30:11-12 says, “You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.”


Father, thank you for relatively quiet days.  Keep the first responders and revelers safe this weekend and next.  Amen.

No comments: