Thursday, February 15, 2018

February 15 – “The sloth”


I just read a complicated treatise on the ins and outs and dangers of attitudes that place the good of yourself above the needs and concerns and feelings of others.  Quite a moving pieces of literature.  In it Snoopy was sitting on the roof of his doghouse, as is his custom.  He is reading over all the Valentines he has received from ever so many female admirers.  Good ol’ Charlie Brown walks up and comments, “I hate someone who gloats over all his Valentines.”  Snoopy smiles, picks up the next one in his stack and muses, “The fifteenth of February is always ‘Gloat Day’.”  So happy Gloat Day, ladies and gentlemen.

Speaking of gloat, I understand that you may be on the edges of your seats waiting for the revelation of what became of our little Valentine’s Day gift exchange here in the Vaughan house.  Chris did a great job of figuring out her visually appealing card.  “Wheel U bee monogrammed-with-a-K heart.”  I know.  It loses something in the translation, but the picture was quite specific.  She also seemed to appreciate the gift.  It was the only thing she has asked for lately … a pair of binoculars.  I know, calm down.  It was over-the-top romantic, but like I said, I make my own Hallmark moments. 

Now as to the gift I received … this beautiful Valentine of mine came up with a truly memorable spectacle this year.  I opened the gift bag to reveal a box of Swiss cake rolls (fabulous chocolate treat, if you have never had one).  But the box was being held by … drum roll here … a stuffed sloth.  That’s right.  Who has a stuffed sloth?  This guy.  I’m just … speechless.

Psalms 33:10-11 says, “The Lord foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples.  But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.”

Father, thank you for joy in all of its forms.  I really am partial to this unexpected surprise version.  Amen.

No comments: