Saturday, February 10, 2018

February 10 – “Let there be light”


For the last three days we have been driving with a burned out headlight.  Easy fix, you might say?  Well, actually it is.  Or, it was.  The problem was having to leave the house at 7 a.m. for the class I was taking, and not getting back home until after 6 p.m.  I have had my little taste of commuter-dom.  Think I’ll do my best to stick to living on a barrier island. 

So yesterday was the day to get the thing fixed.  However, Chris disappeared into the bedroom for a few hours to nurse a headache, and I was doing my best to keep quiet.  As a result, fixing the headlight never entered my mind for the better part of the day.  We went to pick up Cailyn from school, and she leapt from the car and almost immediately started playing with our new neighbor’s little girls.  They are younger then she is, but they are about the same age as the girl across the street from her house, so she is used to playing with younger friends.  Chris and I got to talking with the kiddo’s dad, and out of the blue I remembered about the headlight.  As usual with me, it was harder to find the proper tool than it was to actually use it.  Part of that problem can be placed squarely in the hands of … YouTube.  Yep, I called up how to replace a headlight bulb.  Easy to follow video by some guy who has an auto parts shop.  However … he identified a wrong sized ratchet.  It was hard enough to find the one he called for the first time, but the actual size was an odd one 7 millimeters.  I did have one, though, and pulled the headlight out with little difficulty.  I got the bulb and replaced the empty headlight so we could drive the car. 

After we dropped Cailyn off at her house, we went over to the auto supply house near us and bought the part we needed.  $15.99.  It was a pain to unscrew the bolts again, but it was certainly way better than paying someone else to do it.  Hmm.  I wonder if there is a video on repainting when ice scrapes off a big swath?  That area is sure beginning to attract the rust.  Welcome to salt-air Galveston.

Psalms 33:2-3 says, “Praise the Lord with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.  Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.”

Father, thank you for those YouTube guys who post how-to videos.  They do help us ignorant, er, automotively challenged, folks.  Amen.

No comments: