Thursday, March 9, 2017

March 9 – “A brand new … fail”

For as stressful a day as yesterday was, it doesn’t seem that we got all that much done.  I started out by heading out the church for staff meeting.  Not a difficult task.  In fact, I really enjoy our staff meetings.  We spend the first few minutes just praying, and Jim and I have a generally good relationship as well.  That’s because he’s good at music, and I am happy to let him be.  How’s that for a less self-depreciating way of saying “I’m not”?  We got all the music situated for the upcoming Easter Sunrise service on the beach, and we (read here “he”) even figured out a plan for improving our sound system.  This is the earliest I have had all the music together for that service in, well, ever.  Thanks, Jim.

When I got home it was “have a bite of lunch and then mow the grass.”  Not a problem.  We just got a brand new lawn mower, remember?  I finished up the back and front yards, but I noticed things were getting more and more difficult, even with the front wheel drive option engaged.  As I headed to put it back in the shed, I glanced down at it from a different perspective, looking from the front, and I saw the problem.  The plastic casing that covered the drive mechanism and the wheel adjustment gears was … broken.  A tiny little strip of plastic under a bolt was expected to handle the entire weight of the mower plus the added stress of adjustment of the wheels.  It failed.  I tried to get it to fit back together, and I guess it would be possible to add a washer or something.  But that’s really not the point, now, is it?  That was the second time I have mowed.  Twice.  I hadn’t even used up a full tank of gas.  One would expect a brand new Craftsman mower to last just a bit longer.  So … now I have to go through the inconvenience of finding out what their procedure is for repair or replacing at least that part or at best the entire mower.  Sigh.  I’ll add that to my list for next week.

1 Timothy 1:15-16 says, “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners — of whom I am the worst.  But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.”


Father, thank you for Jim and Charlette.  Bless them and give them peace in all they do.  Amen.

No comments: