Tuesday, March 28, 2017

March 28 – “Big is not always best”

Funerals … memorial services … are an interesting phenomenon in our society.  They are sometimes high-energy celebrations replete with fond memories and hope for the future.  Sometimes they are the exact opposite – filled with overwhelming sadness and grief.  Sometimes the room is absolutely packed with well-wishers.  Sometimes not so much.  Sometimes there is a great connection to the spiritual.  Sometimes the spiritual is forgotten or ignored.

The memorial service Chris and I attended last night would best be described, I think, by the word poignant.  Now I know there are many definitions for that particular word, but by it I mean touching and simple.  The pastor was brother-in-law to the man who died, and Pastor Dennis did a fine job of assembling scriptures related to hope and eternal rest.  The deceased, Stan, had at one time prayed and given his life to Jesus, so the promises of eternal life did apply to him.  He attended Seaside for a time, and we were even privileged to see an emotional experience of family reconciliation between Stan and his sister Anna.  He had been living way up north for a long time, and that is where he died. 

This memorial service could also be described as intimate.  Stan’s dad Ray and his wife were there.  Dennis’ two grown sons were there.  A few of us from Seaside and several from Dennis’ church in Bolivar pretty much rounded out the group.  I really appreciated the story Ray told after the service.  Seems he was an athlete back in his day.  He participated in several sports, but the one in which he most excelled was baseball.  That comment right there had me in his spell.  He said his number the whole time he played was 14.  He became quite attached to number 14, and has considered it his lucky number for his entire life.  He paused, and with a twinkle showing through the tears welling up in his eyes, he concluded, “And looking around here today, I counted fourteen people.  It couldn’t have been a more perfect number.  Thank you all for coming.” 

Big is not always best.  Thanks for that reminder, Ray. 

In John 14:1-3 Jesus says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God. Trust in me also.  There are many rooms in my Father’s house. If this were not true, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  If I go and do that, I will come back. And I will take you to be with me. Then you will also be where I am.”


Father, walk with Ray and the rest of his family as they grieve and remember Stan.  Amen.

No comments: