Saturday, March 18, 2017

March 18 – “Trimming”

Short and sweet message today.  I finished with the Kilzing coat of paint on the raw wood around the house.  Next step is scraping and power washing.  Can’t wait.

Then I joined Chris working in the back yard.  She is trying to get everything up to snuff for the party we are having in a few weeks to celebrate Jachin and Micah getting baptized.  That means digging through all the flower beds.  So yesterday, I trimmed a tree.  Brazilian pepper that does its best to take over everything, and right underneath the power lines to our house.  And I trimmed an ivy.  This one has been around for a long time.  It was growing under the deck steps and onto the deck steps and into the ground and running out into the lawn.  Crazy wild ivy.  And I trimmed some sunflowers.  We have a mine field of sunflowers from some that Cailyn planted a few years ago.  Why the “mine field” reference?  Because they chose to grow, yea to thrive, right smack in the middle of the grass.  Makes it really difficult to mow, so I’m trimming out all the lower branches like they are some kind of tree.  Wow.  I have never treated a weed so well.  Oh, speaking of trimming, maybe I can get my hair trimmed at church tomorrow …

Once we finished outside and had a bite to eat and watched SMU lose a really close game to USC, we got cleaned up and went to WalMart.  Yep.  WalMart on a Friday evening during Spring Break in Galveston.  Life doesn’t get much better than that.  Actually we did need some things, but the people-watching was particularly extravagant.  We ended up introducing ourselves to one guy who was not following any particular pattern in his shopping, but we kept running into him.  Our checker almost lost it when the guy behind us asked what time they started “not allowing people to go down on the beach.”  Chris and I helped out with that one.  We assured him that as long as he didn’t fall asleep or start a fire, he would probably be fine.  I really want to go back again today.  Maybe I can come up with some excuse after I’ve done some paint scraping …

1 Timothy 6:9-10 says, “People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.”


Father, take care of all these tourists through the rest of the weekend.  Thank you for the great weather you have provided for them.  Amen.

No comments: