Wednesday, March 1, 2017

March 1 – “Backyard emergency”

We had somewhat of a backyard emergency workday yesterday.  No, it wasn’t poop patrol day or anything simple like that.  We actually had a sinkhole develop back there.  It wasn’t a “your house is in danger, evacuate now” kind of sinkhole.  At least not yet.  However, several of the concrete pavers that make up our patio had collapsed into the depths of the pit, and it looked like more were at risk to go soon. 

In this particular case, I actually already knew the reason for the sinking.  It was all happening right over the site of our former hugs pecan tree.  It died soon after Hurricane Ike, and we had the stump ground up into mulch.  That was over eight years ago now, 2008.  Not what is left of the tree’s root system is deteriorating, leaving nothing but a track of holes where the wood has rotted away.  When the holes collapse, the sinkhole forms.  Sounds scientific, doesn’t it? 

Chris left for a dentist appointment, so I went over to WalMart to get some dirt.  Just seems weird to actually pay for dirt.  Oh, it was pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, but buying dirt?  Still can’t get over it.  Now while I was at the store I decided to replenish our supply of fruit, and somehow, sometime while I was making my way to the bananas, a movie made its way into the cart.  I have no idea how that happened.  Fortunately it was one we hadn’t seen yet – Doctor Strange.  I knew nothing about this Marvel character, so I had no idea what to expect.  No spoiler alerts from me, but I will say I got a kick out of the artifact that chose him. 

So, back to the back yard.  I pulled up the collapsing pavers and dug up about a four by four section of sod to reveal the evil interloping sinkhole itself.  I then dug around to churn up the existing dirt and fill in whatever was left of any rotted roots.  Then I poured in the “paid for” dirt and blended it together with what was already there.  Next I had to do an eyeball leveling job to replace the pavers.  Chris asked if I wanted to use an actual level, but I figured that would be overkill.  Finally I replaced the grass sod in approximately the same place I removed it from.  But there wasn’t enough sod to completely cover the dirt.  Of course.  How did that happen?  I tried to fill in the gaps with a little extra dirt, and called it a day.  Nine bags of topsoil and four hours of back breaking labor later, the hole is filled.  Sadly, however, the repair is not something that will be particularly noticeable.  Sigh.  Infrastructure.  Gotta have it.  Can’t see it. 

Oh, and to top off the bad news.  Did I mention Chris went to the dentist?  She’s fine, but she came back with the news that I now have an appointment to go in.  Two weeks away.  Umm.  Wait.  Don’t I get a say in this?  Nope.

1 Thessalonians 5:25-26 says, “Brothers, pray for us.  Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss.”


Father, thank you for … well, for dirt.  Amen.

No comments: