Tuesday, June 7, 2016

June 7 – “A memorable 41st”

Well, now.  That was a memorable 41st wedding anniversary if I have ever had one.  Wait.  It was the first one I’ve ever been through, so I guess I have nothing to compare it with.  It was “memorable” nonetheless.

Began around 2 a.m.  That’s when the cats started howling outside our bedroom window.  I hope they were excited at discovering and decimating a trove of mice, but at that hour it sounded more like they were on a mission for Satan or something.  I got up to turn some lights on them to encourage them to carry on elsewhere.  Got disoriented in our hallway, though.  I finally made it to the front door and turned on the porch light.  Guess it worked.  The harbingers of Satan spoke no more to our dreams.

I had the secret anniversary gift all bagged up and ready when Chris woke up.  She was surprised and seemed pleased.  Here’s how that all came about.  Several months ago when we were in Waco we finally managed to get time to go to their hottest new tourist attraction.  Of course I mean Magnolia Market at the Silos.  That’s Chip and Joanna Gaines’ place – the people from an HGTV home improvement show, in case you are among the 10% of people who don’t watch the show.  While we walked around, Chris saw and really liked a sign carved into steel by one of their vendors.  I played it rather nonchalantly, and merely commented, “Wow, it’s kind of expensive.”  We continued our browsing tour.  Later I drifted away from Chris to go to the bathroom and used the opportunity to take a picture of that plaque with my phone.  I said no more about it.  When we got home, though, I texted Christi the photo and asked her if she ever found herself back by those silos, could she pick it up for me.  I sent her the money later that week.  She seemed excited to be a co-conspirator, and actually did her work well.  They brought the item with them when they came to visit a few weeks later, and I hid it in the garage.  And what did the sign say, you may ask?  “Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be.”  Yup.

A few minutes after the gifting Cailyn arrived.  Her Daddy was receiving some shots in his back, so Mom went along to get him back home safely.  She and Chris went shopping (I know.  Scary, right?) while I did some church work.  They came back with a gift in hand for me.  One of those Island shirts that I like to wear when I’m teaching at church.  Chris and I returned it later after Cailyn went home.  It was a “Young Man” special cut.  Shoulda known. 

After my gifting the two girls took me to Shrimp n Stuff for lunch.  Pretty hard to beat.  Good food.  Two gorgeous ladies. 

When we got back to the house Chris had to leave for a doctor’s appointment.  Her leg is still giving her a lot of pain and stiffness that they can’t seem to get a handle on.  Cailyn stayed at the house to play and wait for Mom and Dad to get home.  Except Chris didn’t get shown back to a room for a long time.  And I had a doctor’s appointment rapidly approaching.  Same clinic.  Finally Cailyn and I decided to walk over.  It’s not really that far.  Just seemed kind of odd to be walking to an appointment about back pain and leg numbness and weakness.  However, just as we walked out the door for our adventure, who should drive up but Mommy.  Cailyn was pretty sad that she couldn’t do our walk, but I assured her we would take one another day.  And since she was gone I decided to drive over in the truck instead of walking. 

I got in right away.  It took forever, though, for the actual doctor to see me.  In fact I started texting Chris, knowing she was still somewhere in the building.  She finally finished her appointment, and I opened my door so she could find me.  Come on, how much more romantic can a day get?  Separated in a doctor’s office, but desperately reaching out to connect.  Finally making contact.  And then the ultimate ending … she found me, pining longingly, yet daringly, for her from the “you need to keep this door closed” open door.  Sigh.

After a quick trip to Randalls Pharmacy, where we verified that the doc had given me the wrong prescription, we spent our 41st anniversary evening in memory of my Mom and Dad … at a baseball game.  They used to come to my Little League games all the time, so I guess it’s my turn.  Oh, and when we got there I was asked to be the official scorekeeper for Jachin’s game.  Then Chris found out that Micah had been recruited to play for one of the other teams at the same time.  Different field.  So she high-tailed it over there so one of us could see each game.  Again, pretty romantic.  Separated once again.  She had little Josiah at her side.  I had a covey of young Astros fans around me.  Not that I was keeping track of the Astros game on my phone app while being the official scorekeeper or anything.  Chris made it back for the last few minute of Jachin’s game.  Sadly, both boys’ teams lost.  Reunited once again, we listened to the last inning of the Astros game in the car.  They lost, too.  But not us.  Undeterred, we committed to stay the course.  In fact, how’s this for a battle cry?  “Sure we’re sore, but 41 more.”

Roman 8:28 says, “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”


Father, once again I find myself thanking you for my wife.  You sure did an incredible thing when you put us together.  Amen.

No comments: