Sunday, June 26, 2016

June 26 – “So what is fancy”

Well, I woke up at around 5:15 or so this morning and immediately decided to get up, thinking I would have at least an hour before the rest of the household even started stirring.  I grabbed my phone so I would have use of the flashlight and not disturb anyone else.  And just as it flickered on, who should come bouncing into the bed but Cailyn, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, as my Grandmother used to say.  I never did quite understand the bushy-tailed part of that expression.  I’ll have to look that one up.  Needless to say … so much for my uninterrupted hour to go over the sermon. 

Speaking of Cailyn, she informed us yesterday that she was interested in being an actor on a TV show.  I asked her which one, and she quickly answered, “Not a house show.”  See, we were watching HGTV at the time.  I followed up with, “So what show do you want to be on?”  And she answered, “One like Sponge Bob.”  Watch out, Hollywood.

At supper we worked on how to act at fancy restaurants.  Nani gave us both lessons in which fork to use and Cailyn educated us on the proper way to sit up straight and keep elbows off the table.  I managed to add one comment to the discussion when she asked what to do with the silverware when finished with the meal.  I showed her the five minutes to five positioning that indicates the server that you are finished as opposed to the straight across the top that shows you are still going. 

We had a good discussion about where is the best place to go out to eat.  She loves won ton soup, and let us in on the secret that there is some good won ton “at the Japanese place right by McDonald’s, if you can believe that.”  Took us a minute or two, but we finally figured out she meant Happy Buddha.  There’s your food critic report for the week.

Well, there was one other report.  Cailyn let us know that there is a really fancy restaurant in Spring that she went to.  It’s called Kelley’s.  That resulted in this interchange:
Nani: “What makes a restaurant a fancy one?”
Cailyn: “They dress up there.”
Nani: “Is there a fancy one in Galveston?”
Cailyn: “Not Salsas.”
Nani: “Why not Salsas?  It’s kind of fancy.”
Cailyn: “It’s a Mexican one.”
(Apparently that disqualifies you from being fancy, so I pressed just a bit).
Me: “So what is a fancy restaurant in Galveston?”
Cailyn (pensively): “Bahama Bucks.”
Gotta love that Galveston version of “fancy.”

Romans 12:12 says, “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”


Father, thank you for simple tastes and simple pleasures.  All good things come from you.  Amen.

No comments: