Thursday, June 16, 2016

June 16 – “Reconnect”

Well, I have started a new dosage of one of my medications.  It is the one from the neurologist to calm down the nerve flare-ups resulting from the disk issues in my lower back.  Those flare-ups cause my right leg to tingle and get numb and weak.  The new dose seems to do its job fairly well, but there is one issue.  The first day of taking it, it made me feel light-headed (more than usual) and I had a bit of a nagging headache.  That was the day I drove myself to the dentist.  In retrospect, I suppose I shouldn’t have been the one driving until I found out how I would be affected.  This is little ol’ Galveston, but then it’s also June on the Island, so our population has probably doubled for the summer already.  I promise I will be careful … and let Chris do most of the driving.

Yesterday I spent most of the day working.  Computer stuff – the sermon for Sunday mostly.  But Chris and I did go on a date … grocery shopping at WalMart.  Hey, that’s been a hot date spot for us for as long as we have been married (grocery shopping, not necessarily at WalMart).  It’s a great place to talk.  It’s also a great place to see people.  Oh, there are plenty of strange sights, especially at WalMart, but this time I’m talking about people we know.  As we prepared to round one corner, Cailyn exploded in front of us from out of nowhere.  She and her parents were doing a little shopping as well.  Then as we checked out we were in line behind an older couple who really looked familiar.  They were cordial enough.  Chris was already in deep conversation with the lady behind us, so she didn’t really pay all that much attention to the couple.  That is until after they walked away and we realized she had left her wallet behind.  The checker wouldn’t let me take it  to her, so I ran outside to try to catch them.  Luckily they were still on the store side of the parking lot.  She and I talked some more on our way back inside.  She asked where I lived and shared that she lived in Pirates Beach.  I told her I was the pastor at Seaside, and that was the connection.  They had been to the church back in 2008 right after Hurricane Ike.  In fact, Chris is pretty sure they have been by our house while it was gutted as well.  Seems they have purchased a house in Pirates Beach.  They were stocking up for the proverbial grandchildren visit this weekend. 

Romans 10:14-15 says, “How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!’”


Father, thank you for chances to reconnect as well as for any chance to see portions of our own little family.  Amen.

No comments: