Sunday, December 27, 2015

December 27 – “Mobile Christmas”

Well, I guess I’m finally down to Christmas Day in  my review of events in the life of the Vaughans.  Oh.  And speaking of Vaughan events reviews, Chris has been working hard on our Christmas newsletter to send out.  Shouldn’t be too much longer.  Just wait until after the kids all come in this week.  That might take a tad of her time.  But we’ll get to it.  So, what happened around here on Christmas Day?  For much of the day you would have to check with Fritz and Heidi and Fred.  They were holding down the fort for us as we went mobile. 

First off, we went over to Kel and Christina’s.  Early.  Their kids had been told that they couldn’t come down the stairs until after 7 a.m.  So we had to be there before then.  The plan was for us to come on in the house (we have a spare key) and wait quietly on the couch until someone shows up from upstairs.  I guess that would let the adults sleep in.  Plane didn’t work so well.  We forgot our key so Christina had to get up and let us in.  Now we knew she had already been awake, because she texted us around 5:30 to ask to borrow some salt when we came.  But sadly, she had managed to fall asleep.  What do I have to say to that?  Wake up Mom!  It’s Christmas!  And get Dad out of the bed, too, because you won’t let us start without him. 

Chris and Christina soon disappeared into the kitchen to make some breakfast tacos.  But it wasn’t long before we heard the long-expected cry of “Can we come downstairs yet?”  Ah, music to a parent’s ears.  We all gathered around the tree and listened as Kel read the Christmas story from a children’s Bible.  Pretty exciting stuff.  And then came “The First Gift.”  Christina did this one.  She picked up a tiny little unwrapped box.  She told us that inside that box was the absolute greatest gift ever.  I gotta tell you.  I was excited.  She handed it to little two-year-old Noa to open.  The tension was intense.  Her little fingers managed to get the top off the box and she squealed with delight, “It’s Baby Jesus in a manger.”  Perfect.  But my favorite part of the LaMarque Vaughan Christmas morning experience (well, aside from having Noa snuggle up with me during the story)?  When Josiah excitedly approached with that mixture of wonder and hope that only a  child can really perfect, “DadDad, Santa put an apple in my stocking last year.  I wonder if he will put one this year.”  That was it.  Before opening any other present.  He wasn’t talking about video games or Star Wars paraphernalia.  Just an apple in his stocking.  You did it, Santa.  Christmas spirit prevails.

After watching the rest of the present opening festivities, we finally headed for a brief stop at home before our next Christmas Day appointment.  During the interval Chris and I shared the gifts we had for each other.  I was excited to get a wide-bodied seat for my new bicycle, along with some other accessories, not the least of which was the one I truly longed for … a horn.  I have a horn on my bike.  Watch out when I hit the streets, folks.  You WILL hear me coming.  I think Chris was pleased with the carving.  It was a strange one, a real “Sculpt on the shelf.”  It goes along with parable I wrote for the Christmas Eve service.  Maybe you’ll get to read it someday when my children publish all my wacky writings. 

For lunch we headed over to Nathan and April’s to see what Christmas wonders six-year-old Cailyn was beholding.  And first off?  She now has her very own scooter, just like Mom and Dad’s.  Well, maybe not JUST like theirs.  Hers only gets up to around 15 miles per hour, but believe me, that is plenty fast enough.  She raced out of the driveway and into the street whooping all the way.  She even put a foot to the pavement when she turned just like the motorcycle girls do.  Which, by the way is a no-no in the scooter world.  They have to do a little work on protocol.  She did have a helmet on, though.  But it kind of flopped to the rear on her way back.  Enough that Nani and Mommy noticed.  That’s when we learned another rule of thumb for joyriding scooters.  Your hair has to be in a ponytail.  Wonder if I need to add that to my bicycle safety list?  Lunch was great.  Roast and gravy and rice.  I even managed to get a helping of rice, too.  That’s never a done deal when Cailyn and Nathan are around.  They can eat a pound each. 

Once we returned home and got all settled in with Freddy at our side on the couch, we had a FaceTime call with Josh and Christi and their boys.  Well, actually, Josh held the iPad so we could see Christi in her yellow Christmas sweats hard at work in the kitchen and Luke rolling down his choo choo train roller coaster over and over … and over and over.  I think the little guy likes that one.  The older two even took a turn on it, so the thing must be pretty sturdy.  Speaking of the older two, I think their favorite Christmas surprise had something to do with one box they opened with a letter X on the outside.  And inside was the actual X-Box 360 they have been wanting.  Watch out, gaming world.  Two more Vaughans have been released into the fray.

Since then our Christmas experience has been relatively quiet.  I have tried to get a little ahead on sermon preparation.  Chris has finished sewing projects.  We both watched some movies (After seeing the new Star Wars movie, we – OK, read here “I” – were inspired to watch the others again.  I’m sure no one else in the world thought the do the same).  I think we have sufficiently recharged the batteries for what is to come this week, today in fact.  Everyone is coming here for our family Christmas.  Can’t wait …

Luke 2:28-32 says, “Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying: ‘Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace.  For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.’”


Father, thank you yet again for brand new Christmas memories.  Keep ‘em coming.  Amen.  

No comments: