Tuesday, December 1, 2015

December 1 – “The secret’s out”

I really do love the Christmas season.  People’s moods seem a bit brighter.  Well, except for the two cashiers we had at WalMart last night.  One was our actual cashier.  The other came over to help bag our groceries.  Yep.  Can you believe it?  Two cashiers.  It was a slow night.  Thing was, neither of them had a smile on her face.  They went through the motions methodically, like a couple of machines.  In fact, when the second one came over to help, she had to explain to the first one to push the bag conveyer in her direction so she could in turn put the bags in the cart.  And after she said it, it took two more turns before it actually registered in the mechanical mind of the first lady.  Then after placing a few bags for us, she returned to her own lane to check out someone else.  It was a fascinating observation into holiday stupors.  I did my best to cheer them up of course.  Well, I guess it wasn’t really my best.  Chris was with me so I couldn’t do some of the really fun stuff that came into my mind.  But I did smile and say thank you.  And on our way out I went out of my way to approach the other one and thank her as well.  She was quite taken aback, but it did bring just the faintest hint of a smile as she responded with an almost imperceptible “Thanks.”

Now that was very different from one we had a few nights before.  As my turn came to check out, she realized that I was making a tax exempt purchase for Seaside.  Her entire countenance changed.  She suddenly brightened up and said, “I knew it.  I knew it.  I just have a knack for these things.”  I thought she had discovered some deep dark secret from my past lurking on the dark web.  What was she talking about?  “I just knew you were a believer.  I am too.  Can’t live without Him, you know?”  I surmised from that interlude that she had guessed I was a Christian.  She continued, “Are you the pastor?”  I confirmed that suspicion as well, and she just about hit the roof in excitement.  “I thought so.  I knew it was true.  I just knew it.”  By then I was getting into the swing of things, so I added that I was also the chaplain of the fire department.  That was more than she could handle.  She started “God-blessing” me and my groceries and the cash register and the lady behind me, who by now was thoroughly engrossed and enjoying the show.  It’s always great to find another cohort in the Lord.

Ephesians 5:1-2 says, “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”


Father, thank you for the thrill that comes in finding co-workers for you in all walks of life.  Amen.

No comments: