Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 7 – “Dancing”

We had some outside time the other day when Cailyn was here.  The weather was acting like Spring, so it was not at all hot and just a little cool.  Actually perfect for taking a leisurely stroll, or relaxing in the front porch rocking chair, watching children play and waving at cars as they pass by.  Not that we did any of those things.  I did mention Cailyn was here, didn’t I?  Cailyn is not one to “stroll” anywhere.  And although she doesn’t mind time in the rocking chair, it is usually limited to about a minute and a half before something more exciting comes to mind.  Now when the boys are over, the rocking chair almost instantly becomes something else.  A pirate ship.  A precarious perch over a river of hot lava.  The cockpit of a rocket ship.  And every now and then that cousin influence will leak through to Cailyn.  But she doesn’t like to be confined anywhere.

So after returning from one of her obligatory dashes to the end of the street, daring – no, taunting – someone to follow her, her brown eyes lit up.  Here it comes.  Cailyn has another idea, and I was in her sights.  What would it be this time?  Scale the heights of Mount Pick-up Truck?  Investigate the mysteries of the Great Sahara Vacant Lot?  No, not this time.  This time she flickered her lashes at me and asked, ever-so sweetly, “DadDad, will you dance with me?”  I know you can hear the sound of my heart melting, can’t you?  No hesitation here.  Besides, we have to practice for my dance with her at her wedding. 

I took both of her hands in mine in the classic fairy tale ballroom dance style, and we began to spin in a circle, around and around.  And around.  And around.  Didn’t take long and I was getting dizzy.  So I did what any self-respecting grandfather would have done in my shoes.  I fell down.  And if I must say so myself, it was a grand fall, with all the pomp and bluster I could muster to fit the regal occasion.  She loved it.  A bit too much, I’m afraid.  Oh, she joined me all right.  And then she was up.  “Let’s do it again, DadDad.”  Of course.  So we joined hands.  Now this time I decided to add a little flair to the occasion.  I did some jumping and high stepping as we spun, to the delight of several passing motorists.  Her giggles turned to laughter as she struggled to keep up with the outrageous moves of the master.  I finally managed between gasps to ask, “Are we dancing or frolicking?”  Without missing a beat she breathlessly replied, “We are dancing and frogglelicking, DadDad.”  And with that we collapsed once again to the ground.  I’m so glad we have soft grass.  Now I need to get started on that Dictionary of Cailynese.

Psalms 65:4 says, “Blessed are those you choose and bring near to live in your courts!
We are filled with the good things of your house, of your holy temple.”

Father, thank you for the good things of your house that you allow us to experience as a sneak preview here.  Amen.

No comments: