Saturday, February 16, 2013

February 16 – “Happy Birthday, Josh”

Yes, today is our son Joshua’s birthday.  He and his wife Christi disappeared last night to the Tremont Hotel and we got to spend the night with Caleb and Zakary.  Great fun for us, that’s for sure.  We watched a few episodes of Wipeout on TV and then we watched Caleb relive them with his own special twist on the action.  Zak had some ideas as well for how they could have mastered the obstacles.  If they ever have a brothers show, watch out producers.  These two will come away with the prize for sure. 

The whole bunch of our grandkids were here for a while yesterday to get in some cousin time.  We loved it when Josiah (the two year old) showed up wearing a sock on one foot and the other foot was bare.  No shoes.  His explanation?  “I have a peg leg.  I a pirate.”  Of course. 

We had quite a scare this morning.  Not about the grandkids, though.  They were fine.  And not about Mom, although she was up most of the night again, which meant Chris was up, too.  This time it was my computer.  I turned it on and it started up as usual.  Up to a point.  Then it suddenly turned into a blue screen and flashed one of those dire warnings about how the world as you know it is about to come to an end.   Well, at least the world as your computer knows it.  I followed all the instructions as they arrived on the screen.  They kept me informed as to what the computer was doing, but when the process was complete, the notice said nothing was repaired.  It switched to a different screen with new instructions, and I followed those instructions as well.  I am such an obedient fellow.  Finally that program finished its diagnostics and informed me that there was nothing it could do, either.  Sadly, I pushed the “Okay” button, certain by now that a good portion of pour pictures file as well as some key documents that had not yet been backed up were being systematically flushed into oblivion …

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
but a windows screen to bring me good cheer. 
I breathlessly watched as it loaded itself,
while I silently cheered as I reached for the shelf. 
Then Windows came up as if all was fine, 
and I hastily backed up the files that were mine. 
Videos, pictures, and documents, too,
all safely nestled in file back up two. 
A sigh of relief did come forth from my soul,
that’s enough of the stress that has taken its toll.
Pass me the Legos, a muffin, let’s eat,
And while you’re at it, please turn up the heat.

OK.  Enough of that.  I slipped into a bit of poetic reverie there. 

Psalms 66:10-12 says, “For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver.  You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs.  You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance.”

Father, thank you for those trials.  I guess.  It is hard to remember that they will result in a place of abundance when I’m in the middle of them, though.  Amen.

No comments: