Friday, February 15, 2013

February 15 – “Valentines Day reminiscing”

Ah, Valentines Day.  Don’t you just love reading all the posts about romantic dinner dates and beautiful roses?  Want to hear about our Valentines Day this year?  I guess that’s a silly question since I’m the one writing this thing.  I did remember to get Chris something, by the way.  Thought about it a lot.  So here it is, my official Valentines Day post:

Valentines Day: I gave her a book.  She loves to read.  She gave me pink, heart-shaped pancakes.  I love to eat.  We enjoyed each other’s company over a nice romantic lunch surrounded by five grandchildren all eating pizza.  Sigh.

We did have Jachin and Micah and Josiah and Cailyn all here.  Zakary and Caleb arrived later last night.  Christina had an ultrasound appointment to see what that little female earthling growing in her womb looks like.  And of course she is gorgeous.  We got to see the 21 pictures they brought home.  Christina brought us one of their extra swings when she came to pick up the boys, so as soon as they drove away Cailyn was onto me about hanging it up.  That meant drilling some holes and getting the swing  screws out that I gave Chris for Christmas.  Not that difficult, but I had to look straight up to do it, so my neck is kind of sore.  Cailyn loves it, though, so I guess it’s worth it.  We’ll see what Zak and Caleb think today.

Did I mention that we had pizza for lunch?  Chris intended to make spaghetti, but apparently it has become a tradition to have pizza every time the boys come over.  Even Josiah was asking where the pizza man was.  That turned into another funny scene when the delivery arrived.  Josiah was very excited when the doorbell rang.  “Pizza man is here,” was his cry as he ran to the door.  His face quickly fell into a look of overwhelmed confusion, though.  It wasn’t the pizza man after all.  It was the pizza lady.  Very confusing, but he did manage to ask her where her big pizza truck was.  Sadly enough, she was using her own car.  No pizza man.  No big pizza truck.  What’s this world coming to, eh, Josiah?  He did manage to force down his slice of pizza, though.

Later we were outside playing when he discovered my fishing poles in the garage.  That was all he wanted to do from that point on … go fishing.  Can’t say I blamed him.  I’ve been wanting to go fishing for months.  I have to admit I was a little envious of him, though.  When he realized we weren’t going today, he threw an epic temper tantrum.  Beating up the car, throwing himself to the concrete, wailing about how mistreated he was.  Wish I could do something like that on occasion.  It really looked cathartic.

John 4:34 says, “’My food,’ said Jesus, ‘is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.’”

Father, thank you for the chance to spend Valentines Day watching Chris interact with our grandkids.  There’s not much more fun.  Amen.

No comments: