Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 21 – “Disney Date”

Well, I had quite an exciting start to my day yesterday.  I went on a breakfast date of sorts with Cailyn.  When she arrived for the day she announced that she wanted to go to the donut shop for breakfast, and there was no dissuading her.  Apparently she had had a taste of it the day before when her parents stopped by there on their way to Cailyn’s four-year-old checkup.  Great idea, by the way.  She ended up getting three shots, so the massive sugar rush helped ease the trauma, as did the stop at some kind of free play facility on the way home. 

So Cailyn and I went to the donut shop.  Now you have to understand what she was wearing to fully appreciate the significance of the date.  She had on one of her princess costumes.  She told me it was her new dress from the Disney Store at the Outlet Mall.  That’s my little shopper.  Mommy is teaching her well.  She further explained that it was Aurora’s gown.  I asked what movie that was from.  She replied, “You’re so silly, DadDad.  I told you.  It’s from Aurora movie.”  OK.  I admit it.  I am not so up to snuff on my Disney princesses.  I still haven’t figured out which movie it is.  The only one I’m sure of is Belle from Beauty and the Beast.  Not because I managed to stay awake during that movie or anything.  It’s because she is a character on the new TV show, Once Upon a Time. 

We entered the donut shop in all her glory (and my blue jeans).  She went right to the refrigerated section and selected some chocolate milk.  It was like she was a regular at one of the coffee klatches they have at that shop every morning.  She did bring a smile from everyone who saw us, though.  Even the harried counter worker managed to grin when I picked Cailyn up so she could peruse the offerings.  She quickly chose one with pink icing and sprinkles on top, as well as “some of those little tiny donuts ones.”  I took that to mean donut holes.  Good guess this time. 

The date didn’t really last that long.  I ordered an apple fritter for me and a cinnamon twist for Chris and we headed on home.  We enjoyed the sumptuous meal with Cailyn sitting on the kitchen counter and Chris and I standing nearby.  Who needs those bar stools anyway?  Great day for me.  A drive with a Disney princess.  Breakfast with two gorgeous girls.  Doesn’t get much better than that.

Psalms 67:3-4 says, “May the peoples praise you, O God; may all the peoples praise you.   May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples justly and guide the nations of the earth.”

Father, thank you for my all-too brief interlude of joy yesterday.  Amen.

No comments: