Wednesday, November 9, 2011

November 9 – “A different game”

 
 
I spent most of the day yesterday working on church stuff.  I had to get all the background study in for our switch over to studying the Book of Esther.  It fits in chronologically where we are in Ezra.  So Xerxes is king and Mordecai is sitting at the gate in Susa and Haman is cooking up some scheme or other to satisfy his lust for recognition.  I got a phone call last night from a guy in the church.  He wants me to consider writing a book about the Ezra stuff.  Or maybe he meant about the Biblical Backgrounds study.  Either way, I appreciate the request and the encouragement, but that's a huge undertaking.  Maybe I could just write him out a summary of events.  So, another fun few weeks ahead.  In fact, now I have to decide whether to take a break and do some special teachings related to the Advent Season.  It is already the middle of November.    
 
Since I spent so much time on the computer, I got to listen to Chris and Cailyn play.  At one time Cailyn wanted to be a princess.  That meant changing clothes or something, because they could only do it in the bedroom.  As they passed by on their way I heard Cailyn explaining, "I'm the princess, Nani.  So you're the prince, OK?"  Strangely enough, Chris readily agreed.  I was expecting maybe an appeal for her to be the Queen Mother or maybe even the evil Cinderella stepmother.  I guess it's just easier to go with the flow. 
 
As it turned out the whole princess thing didn't really catch on anyway.  I think it happened when they walked past one of Chris' old purses that she lets Cailyn play with.  And that changed everything.  Suddenly, it was time to go shopping.  To WalMart.  To Target.  To Krogers.  Cailyn had the purse, so that apparently gave her all power.  "I Mommy."  Of course.  This time Chris picked up her imagination game a step.  "I Cailyn," was her response.  After a brief pause to consider the ramifications, no doubt, Cailyn agreed and they were off.  They walked through the office on their way to, well, "We going shopping, DadDad."  Kind of scary.  The next conversation I heard was great.  Chris-as-Cailyn had obviously reached the store.  "I Cailyn.  What's this?  Can I have this?  It's candy I want candy I want candy can I have some candy it's candy, Mommy can I have some candy Mommy please, Mommy?"  She finally had to take a breath.  I couldn't see Cailyn's immediate response, but for some reason she suddenly wanted to play a different game.  I know the feeling, Cailyn.  Sometimes I want to play a different game, too.
 
Ecclesiastes 5:10 says, "Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income.  This too is meaningless."
 
Father, thank you for the "different games" options you give us.  Help us be wise in our choices.  Amen.

No comments: