Saturday, November 12, 2011

November 12 – “A wedding on the deck”

 
 
I had another wedding last night.  At least this one I didn't have to dress up for.  And I didn't have to go very far.  They came over to the house and we went up on the deck in the back yard.  It was actually pretty nice.  It was cool, in the 60's, I think.  There was a gorgeous full moon out.  Our deck is lined with those rope Christmas lights.  It used to feel like you were in in a treehouse, but Hurricane Ike killed all our trees back there.  Now it feels like you are on somebody's roof.  But it was nice enough for a wedding. 
 
It was just me and the bride and groom.  They are going to have a full blown ceremony in a few weeks, but they wanted to get it done now for a number of reasons.  Not a problem.  I used the ceremony I developed around the handfasting custom for this one.  I'll use the more traditional one next time.  For this one I looped a piece of rope around their hands while we did the vows.  Then I talked about the two circles of rope representing their lives, and the knot in the center representing their love and commitment to each other.  But when that knot is loosened up, there are actually three circles, representing each of them and God. 
 
It also shows that sometimes their relationship will get all knotted up.  When that happens, all they have to do is loosen up a little in their relationship with each other, and look to God.  He'll always be there.  Once they find him and refocus on what's important, then they can draw the knot of their love tight again. 
 
Of course all the while I'm talking I was trying to actually do the loosening and tightening actions. Up to the last tightening, which they did themselves.  It sounds confusing, but it had some good points to it.  There was just one problem.  Did I mention that we were outside … at night?  Even with the full moon and the Christmas lights, it was still dark.  Too dark to see my book.  And I don't have this service memorized.  I do it so rarely that I don't even have it fairly well established in my mind.  So I had a flashlight up there with me.  I held it under my arm and did whatever contortion was necessary to keep the light on the page while I tied and loosened and retied.    I'm kind of glad there were no videographers or photographers up there.  I could have used an assistant, though.  Ah, well.  Once again we made it happen.  And we'll get it done again here in a few weeks.  I love this part of being a pastor.
 
Ecclesiastes 7:19 says, "Wisdom makes one wise man more powerful than ten rulers in a city."
 
Father, there's one more couple who needs your guidance.  Give them your wisdom.  Amen.

No comments: