Thursday, November 3, 2011

November 3 – “Charades”

 
 
There were two new students at the Wednesday night contemporary worship service.  And they were junior high age.  That's what I have been praying for lately.  We have a large group of high school seniors this year, so we need some new blood.  Hope they felt welcomed.
 
Mom went to Libbie's Place yesterday.  It was once again tough to get her going in the morning.  She gets started on a task like getting dressed or eating breakfast and reaches a point where she just sits there.  It's like she's wondering what to do next.  One of the times Chris went in to check on her, Mom was distressed about something.  Chris asked what she needed.  At that point she began making motions over and over again like she was putting on lipstick.  Charades.  Always a fun game … when it's a game.  And she said, "Have you finished my … my …"  Chris guessed "Lipstick?"  But Mom said no, that wasn't it.  Finally Chris remembered that she had recently repaired the little mirror Mom carries in her purse.  That was it.  "Mirror," Mom repeated. 
 
On the other hand, I asked her if she had seen the newspaper yet.  A friend of hers from many years ago died and her obituary came was printed.  Mom recognized the name immediately and wanted to read the obit.  She didn't recount any specific memories, but then I can't remember too much myself.  The obit was well written and mentioned several of the connections Mom had had with Mrs. Lucas.  Church.  Square dance club.  I remember she had three sons.  One was much older than me.  The second was around my older brother's age.  The third was about my younger brother's age.  I think there was a daughter, too.  I emailed my brothers to let them know.  We'll have to see how Mom is doing Friday.  That's when the funeral is. 
 
There are some days when I feel overwhelmed by Mom's situation.  Chris is amazing with her, but she wants to sleep all the time.  She constantly feels cold.  When she's with just us she moans every time she exhales, like she's humming some kind of weird song.  Sometimes it's high pitched, other times it's a low groaning.  She doesn't usually do it at all when we have company or when we are out somewhere.  I guess she is putting on her best front for the strangers.  But it's when she gets going with that moaning that I get extremely uncomfortable.  I can't block it out.  I can't concentrate on something else.  Sometimes turning on the TV or listening to music helps, but I know she's still at it.  It just feels like she's in pain and there's nothing I can do to help her.  We have asked her about it, and she can't believe we can even hear her.  She also insists that she isn't in pain.  So we turn up the radio a bit, say another prayer for her, and keep on going.
 
Proverbs 31:10-19 says, "A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.  11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.  12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.  14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar.  15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.  16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.  17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.  18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.  19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers."
 
Father, thank you for my Mom.  Let her know you are walking with her through this part of her life.  And thank you for my wife.  Keep giving her strength to carry on in her superhuman way with caring for Mom.  Amen.
 

No comments: