Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29 – “Unforgettable”

 
 
Today promises to be an interesting one.  We had two copies of the Galveston Daily News delivered.  I know they are proud of the big format changes, so I guess they want to get the word out. 
 
Speaking of the Daily News, I read a really sad article the other day about a family.  One of the lady's sons died when he was fifteen years old.  At that point she said she lost the joy of Christmas.  In the article she apologized to her other son for cheating him out of more Christmases.  Wow.  I don't understand the extent of her grief.  I've never lost a child.  I know a lot of people would say she needs counseling, and that's probably true.  But I'm not a psychologist either.  One thing I am positive about, though.  She needs Jesus.
 
For some reason that thought reminded me of one of the new shows on television.  It's called "Unforgettable."  Or maybe it's just "Forgettable."  I'm not sure.  The main character of the show is a lady who has some kind of medical condition that makes it impossible to forget anything.  Whatever she sees one time she can always remember.  Except of course the one thing she really wants to remember.  When she was a child she witnessed her sister's murder, and now she can't remember what the guy looked like.  So with that back story in place she decided to become a police detective.  Of course.  What else could she have possibly chosen?  Rocket scientist maybe?  Doctor?  She would have given House a run for his money.  It certainly would have been a nightmare to have her for a teacher.  Can you imagine the multiple choice questions on her tests?  "In the caption under the picture on page 2,397 of the textbook, …"  Yikes.  The show has its lighter moments.  One of the other detectives is always trying to catch her not remembering something.  One time he asked her what he had for breakfast last Thursday.  Of course she wasn't with him last Thursday, so how would she know, right?  Except she remembered that he had a small drop of egg on his tie that day.  Amazing. 
 
Isaiah 12:2 says, "Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.  The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."
 
Father, thank you for not "remembering against me" all the times I have failed you.  Amen.

No comments: