Friday, November 4, 2011

November 4 – “A chilly point to ponder”

 
 
It has gotten colder here in our tropical island paradise.  Frigid.  A veritable harsh winter day in Galveston.  I had to put on a long sleeved t-shirt with my shorts.  And when Chris got up she turned on the heater.  "Just to get the chill out of the air for your Mom," she said.  I just checked WeatherBug on my computer.  It read an icy 51.6 degrees.  Brrr.  At least it's not windy any more.  Yesterday the wind was blowing 30 or 40 miles an hour.  I heard there was even a 55 mile an hour gust out at Moody Gardens. 
 
Not such great news for the motorcycle riders in town for the big Biker Rally Weekend.  At least it would be miserable for me if I ever got on a motorcycle.  I know our friends Mark and Melissa Dammeyer got bit by that bug a few years ago when they lived in Florida.  Now they live somewhere up in the frozen wasteland of New Jersey.  And then there's Jim Stone.  He came down here from New York and now he's happily involved in his part time pursuits of being a farmer and a motorcycle gang member.  But then he's much younger than me.
 
I'm glad my mid-life crisis hasn't included any affairs with Harley Davidson.  Yet.  Besides, how will I know I'm at mid-life until I reach end-life?  Ah.  Yet another question for philosophical minds to ponder. 
 
Ecclesiastes 3:9-14 says, "What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 13 That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil — this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him."
 
Father, thank you for warmth when it is cold.  Amen.

No comments: