Friday, November 18, 2011

November 18 – “Manners”

 
 
At the risk of allowing her to monopolize the pages of my blog, I do have another Cailyn tale this morning.  Actually it's just a simple recounting of a conversation I overheard between her and Chris.  Check it out:
 
Cailyn: I have some candy now, Nani?
Chris: No.  You already had some.
Cailyn (after thinking for a few seconds): Candy for her.
Chris: Who is "her"?
Cailyn (after thinking for a few seconds): Me.
Chris: No candy.
Cailyn (after thinking for a few seconds): I get MoeMoe's purse.
 
She immediately heads for MoeMoe's purse, which is hanging on her walker.
 
Chris: Stay out of MoeMoe's purse unless you ask.
Cailyn: (peering at the purse): Candy in there?
Chris: No candy.  Even from MoeMoe's purse.
Cailyn (turning to MoeMoe): MoeMoe, you need candy?
Chris: No, Cailyn.  No candy.
Cailyn (ignoring Chris as best she can): MoeMoe, I get candy for you?
MoeMoe: Go get my walker
Cailyn: (struggling to get walker between a chair and the couch): 'Scuse me,
Chair, 'scuse me.
 
By this time I am fully engrossed in the spectacle.  Chris moves the chair, and Cailyn pulls the walker over to Moemoe.  She continues in her all-time sweetest voice ever.
 
Cailyn: Here momo.  Can I have candy?
 
Before Chris even has a chance to step in, Cailyn turns toward her.  The little eyes become wide saucers.  The smile bursts forth on her cherubic little face.  And she hastily, but quite cheerily adds.
 
Cailyn: I ask nice.
 
You gotta give her something for manners, right?  As it turned out, MoeMoe had no candy in her purse (also an amazingly rare occurrence in and of itself).  Sure now that her disciplinary consistency has once again been upheld, Chris bid a hasty retreat into my office so she could join me in unbridled enjoyment of the mirth of the moment as well as in secret appreciation of Cailyn's budding manipulatory skills. 
 
Ecclesiastes 10:14 says, "No one knows what is coming — who can tell him what will happen after him?"
 
Father, we sure never know what will happen next with our grandkids.  Help us trust you to handle all of our future.  Amen.
 

No comments: