Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 1 – “Today Days”

Happy New Year, I guess.  It is certainly a new year.  And biblically speaking we can always be joyful because of our relationship with Jesus.  But what kinds of things make me happy?  I enjoy fishing.  I went for awhile today.  Didn't get a bite.  I have a great time playing with my grandkids.  Two of them were here this morning for our black eyed peas, cabbage, and ham lunch.  And I did have a lot of fun skipping around the room with Micah and feeding the absent fish with Jachin.  But they went home.  I spent a few hours going through some of the salvage-hopeful stuff we have here at the Omega Bay house.  Most of it came from the bottom drawer of Chris' dresser – letters, cards, some belt buckles.  A lot of it was still wet.  Much of it is ruined.  Chris just asked if I was going to start teaching next week at Seaside Christian Academy.  I hadn't thought that far in advance.  I just can't seem to get over the lack of motivation hump for anything but getting something done at our house.  And I'm sure limited in that respect.  We're supposed to go buy our appliances this week and have Sears hold off on delivery until we're ready for them.  We're also supposed to set up an appointment to see the Amish cabinets we're interested in for the house.  Maybe when we actually start doing that stuff it'll start to feel like something is happening.  My final New Year complaint?  What else?  My back hurts.  It's been bothering me for awhile now.  I've just been thinking about other stuff to keep my mind off it.  Now that's a skill I have developed over the last few years. 

 

I have wondered often since I started this whole blog thing what would happen if I ever couldn't find God in something during the day.  If ever there was a day that could have filled the bill, this has been it.  I have just felt kind of depressed today.  No particular reason for it that I can come up with. 

 

But I remembered something.  Seems like I'm not the only one who got depressed and felt blah.  Of course, that guy probably had a cool Hebrew word for "blah."  He's the guy that wrote in Psalm 6:1-7: "O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am faint; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are in agony. My soul is in anguish.  How long, O Lord, how long? Turn, O Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love. No one remembers you when he is dead.  Who praises you from the grave?  I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes."

 

But he's also the one who wrote Psalm 8:1-9: "O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!  You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

                                                                                                   

Father, when I have Psalm 6, today-kind of days, remind me that Psalm 8 days are coming in just a few chapters.  Amen.


No comments: