Wednesday, January 7, 2009

January 7 – “Josh”

Boy, am I ever beat.  After those two Chris-imposed, too-cold off days, I headed back to the house to scrape tile up.  The bathroom went really fast, so I was pumped and ready to attack the hideous red tile in the family room.  Chris got there to help, but it was not as easy as we'd hoped.  Every place where the concrete slab was a little bit flawed, the tile held on for dear life.  It was as if we were separating a leech from a water buffalo (how's that for a comparison?).  We got a good sized patch done and broke for lunch because Chris had to take Mom to Wednesday Club this afternoon.

 

Chris went on home after we ate.  I set a goal for the afternoon.  Since we hope the framers will be here sometime this week, I wanted to get at least one row of tiles completely up – the row next to where they will be working.  I think I chose the most difficult row of tile in the whole house.  I was constantly stopping to sweep (that's construction code for "rest").  I finally got it done, plus a little more, but I'm going to be sore tomorrow – my back is already killing me.

 

I did have a really exciting phone call.  Actually I had two phone calls.  One was from a guy up in the Amarillo area who has been coordinating some help for us.  It was good to talk to him again.  He's trying to set up some work teams to come down here.  He may even have a plumber.  Maybe we'll get the showers at the church building after all.  The second phone call, though, was totally unexpected.  It was from Josh, a young man who came to Seaside as a kid, then his family moved to Santa Fe.  Now it wouldn't be so unusual for a Seasider who has moved away to give me a call, but the last time I saw Josh, he was in a hospital bed with a breathing tube.  About a year ago Josh was working on his truck, when the supports slipped and the truck fell on his head.  Needless to say he was critical for a long time.  His parents were very positive and trusted God to take care of him throughout the ordeal, though.  They were great to talk to.  Anyway, he was very excited to be alive.  He also said he had a testimony to share.  Seems that while he was unconscious, he had a feeling of energy so positive and so strong that he felt like he was sleeping on a cloud.  Then he felt someone poke him awake.  When he looked up, he saw Jesus.  And Jesus told him he had a job for him – to get as many people as he could as close to God as possible.  Wow.  I for one would love to hear his testimony in person.  I invited him to come on out to Seaside and he could speak any time.

 

Acts 4:18-20 – "Then they called them in again and commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.  But Peter and John replied, 'Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God.  For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.'"

 

Father, give that "I have to speak" passion that Josh has discovered to all of us.  Amen.


No comments: