Friday, January 9, 2009

January 9 – “Baker’s Dozen”

I had something happen to me today that I haven't seen in years.  I mean something besides getting to spend the day with my newest grandson and his adoring Big Brother.  They were great together, by the way.  Today was hospital picture day.  Zak and Caleb had special shirts embroidered for the occasion.  They said, "Big Brother" and "Lil Brother."  Most of the attention was on Caleb, but they did one picture of the two of them that was great.  Zak had Caleb in his lap and was giving him a kiss.  Of course, between Daddy and two sets of grandparents, we might have a few more than just one good picture. 

 

Oh, yeah.  We got a call from our contractor this morning.  He was wondering if I could move the car out of the driveway at our house so he could have some materials delivered.  Oh, no.  Both sets of keys are here with us in Mansfield.  That sets the delivery back to Monday.  Hmmm.  Materials delivery … Caleb delivery.  It was worth it.    He told us that he finally tracked down the problem with getting our electricity hooked up.  Seems the electrician (or somebody) spelled "Sycamore" wrong.  That meant the city's inspector didn't know where to go to approve the work.  They have it spelled right now.  We're supposed to have electricity today or tomorrow.  That means framing work should start Monday.  Hmmm.  Guardedly optimistic.  It also means I don't have much time to finish cleaning up tile.  Hmmm.  Cleaning up tile … cleaning up Caleb.  It was worth it.

 

OK.  I guess I got way off track from where I began.  I saw something I haven't seen in years.  It happened this morning.  My job was to go pick up some donuts for breakfast so we could get out to the hospital as fast as possible.  Hey, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.  Anyway, I asked for a dozen plain glazed donuts, one apple fritter (I couldn't help it.  That's a favorite of mine), and two chocolate milks (one for me and one for Zak).  When I got to the car I realized that the lady had put a vanilla icing cake donut in with my apple fritter.  Perfect for Zak.  He loves icing.  Any kind of icing.  But that was what I haven't seen in so long.  Not an icing-laced cake donut.  A "Baker's Dozen."  Thirteen instead of twelve.  A long time ago when you ordered a dozen of something, the baker would add one extra.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe in case he counted wrong.  More likely it was just a little something unexpected – a special treat - to get you to come back again.  Sure works for me.  I'm ready to go back in the morning.

 

Luke 6:13 says, "When morning came, he called his disciples to him and chose twelve of them, whom he also designated apostles."  Twelve disciples plus Jesus.  Thirteen.  Now that's a Baker's Dozen to pay attention to.

 

Father, thanks for reminding me that there are good folks out there – here in Mansfield as well as back home in Galveston.  Amen.


No comments: