Wednesday, December 31, 2008

December 31 – “Joy Dance”

In our boring world of demo, we finished scraping the tar off our bedroom floor at the house.  It didn't take me long to remember this back-breaking chore.  I didn't think we would ever get to the end.  In fact, I'm not really sure we did get to the end, but we were sure finished, if you know what I mean.  Now we have to scrape off tile in the family room and one bathroom, and chip out the tile floor in the other bathroom.  We still don't have electricity, though.  The framers are supposed to start as soon as Monday … if we have electricity.

 

I thought a lot about my grandsons today.  Zak is in Mansfield waiting for the birth of his little brother, Caleb.  Jachin and Micah live in Galveston, and we are used to seeing them at least several times a week.  But they have been visiting their other Grandmother out in California.  They got back last night, and we went over to see them this morning.

 

Remember the tree we cut down yesterday?  Well, these were the two guys I was thinking of when I decided to leave a huge hunk of tree all over our front yard.  In fact, I did some extra trimming of some of the more dangerous parts just so they could climb on it.  When I was doing it Nathan made an interesting, only-an-uncle-can-say-that comment.  "You can't eliminate all the danger, Dad.  Where's the fun, then?"  I'm still processing that one.  I'm sure there's a lesson somewhere in there.  I just haven't grasped it yet.

 

Anyway, we went to their house this morning. We couldn't wait to see them.  Jachin, the five-year-old, had just started a video game when we arrived, so he was out of pocket until his allotted time ran out.  He did say it would be OK with him if Nana and DadDad came back and saw what he was doing.  Micah, the two-year-old, heard Chris say hello to Kel, and we heard an explosion from the next room, "It's Nana!"  He came running into the room where we were and started running around in very tight circles.  He marched in place, kicking his feet as high as he could.  He threw his hands over his head and squealed.  He danced a wild and wacky dance of joy that lasted a good five minutes before he ran out of steam.  I joined him for awhile, and it was great fun.  But I just couldn't keep up the pace.  I wish I could express that kind of joy all the time.  It reminded me of 2 Samuel 6:14: "David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might."

 

Psalms 45:7 says, "You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy."

 

Father, I want that anointing.  Help me to daily fall in love with righteousness and turn away from wickedness.  Amen.


No comments: