Saturday, December 20, 2008

December 20 – “Dolphins”

I saw the ultimate sign of hope today.  Well, it was a sign for me.  I guess it might be one of those BOI (Born On Island) kind of things.  But today I saw two dolphins playing in the water off the seawall. 

 

Now, dolphins are not unusual to the Gulf of Mexico.  We used to see them all the time.  Before Ike.  I haven't seen a single one since the storm.  Until today.  Now it's going to be OK.  I know it's still really bad around here, but it's not over yet.  I saw dolphins.  Everything's going to be OK in the end.  Since it's not OK, it's simply not the end.  And that means there is more to come.  I saw dolphins.

 

Let me tell you why dolphins mean so much to me.  One day several years ago I was wade fishing out in front of WalMart.  I usually wade out to the first sand bar and fish from there.  It's not hard to get to, but it's still far enough out that you really don't know what you'll catch.  That's what makes it so much fun to wade fish.  Anyway, I got brave and swam a little so I could get out to the second sand bar.  There were hardly any waves, so I cast out in great anticipation.  About then I saw it.  Swimming around about ten yards or so from me was a shark.  I could only see his fin. But that was enough to 1.  Know it was a shark, and 2.  Begin backpedaling toward shore as fast as I could.  He got closer and closer, and I was about to the place where I would have to turn around and swim, taking my eyes off him.  I was not exactly excited about my situation.  Things looked bad.

 

Suddenly, two dolphins surfaced about five yards away, between me and the shark.  They were heading east, parallel to the shore, but for some reason they turned directly toward the shark and took off.  It was like they were on a collision course with him, when they split off at the last second.  Then they gathered for a second run.  They were toying with the shark.  I was fascinated.  Not fascinated enough to stay on the second sand bar, but fascinated.  I watched them harass the shark for what seemed like ten minutes before he finally swam away.  As he left heading toward deeper water, the dolphins surfaced a few times where I could see them, then continued on their own journey.

 

So, do you see why I like dolphins?  And why they are signs of good things to come for me?  No, it's not that God declared them to be a sign unto Galveston like unto the rainbow he set in the sky for Noah.  But, you know what?  If the dolphins are back, things must be looking up.  It's a sign.

 

Signs were a big thing back when Jesus was born, too.  Luke 2:12 says, "This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."   Seems like the sign of the dolphin would have been more exciting.

 

Father, thank you for that sign of hope in a little baby.  Thanks for my own personal sign of hope in the two dolphins.  I know you are in control.  Amen.

 

 


No comments: