Wednesday, November 26, 2008

November 25 – “Unexpected”

Today we fried.  But first …

 

Our day began around midnight when Chris' mom (who is a cancer patient) called and said she was on the way to the emergency room in Bay City.  She was having a lot of trouble breathing.  Chris said, "I'm on my way," and began to gather up her "travel stuff."  I didn't feel good about her driving for two hours alone, so I got dressed, grabbed the book I was reading and we jumped in the car.  Took us about an hour and a half to get there.  Chris drove, and yes, I dozed much of the way.  Once we got there I stayed in the waiting room while Chris went back to be with her mom.  And yes, I dozed much of the time.  Except it was really cold, and the chairs were just a step above airport comfort quality, and the TV was playing an infomercial really loud, so my sleep was intermittent at best.  After awhile Chris and her parents emerged with the news.  They think it's just bronchitis, and they're sending her home.  We went by the house with them, made a quick bathroom stop, grabbed an apple and a Pepsi, and started back home.  Chris was still pretty keyed up, so she drove.  And yes, I dozed much of the time.  We were home by 4:30 and both of us collapsed into bed. 

 

At 7:00 sharp my internal alarm exploded to life.  I was wide awake.  We had a lot to do anyway, so I got up and began my morning routine – coffee, quiet time, newspaper, journal.  Around 7:30 my phone rang.  The Gage family was on their way over with a trailer full of donations for Ike victims (i.e. Us).  We expected blankets and other "things to keep us warm."  There were those, but they also had a couch and bags of clothes and even some toys.  I skimmed through some of it.  At one point I almost called up to April, but then I realized I had it backward.  There was a dog costume for a kid.  But she would want a kid costume for a dog.  Remember, she's the one who dressed her dog as a chicken on Halloween. 

 

Anyway, the Gages were on their way to San Antonio for vacation, but they had forgotten their Sea World tickets, so Melissa was on the phone trying to track down a confirmation number.  Otherwise they would have to return to Palo Pinto before continuing.  They eventually got it, but because of the delay we got to spend the whole morning and even share lunch with them.  The kids had a good time – fishing (no bites), playing with Scooter (he'll be exhausted tonight), and watching me fry turkeys.  Now there's a highlight of the day – of the year so far – for me.  Frying turkeys.  We only did four this year instead of our usual ten or twelve.  But we no longer have a freezer, so we're very limited.  I did get a surprise when I was lifting out the second turkey.  Thank goodness I was alone – no Gage kids around this time.  The turkey slipped off the handle and fell back into the pot, splattering hot grease all over the ground - and me.  I wasn't worried about my clothes ($5 each for the shirt and jeans), but some tracked right at my face.  It didn't turn out so bad, though.  My beard protected me for the most part. 

 

We also had a surprise visit from Tyrone, the guy who owns the Omega house.  He was meeting a garage door guy to check out the opener.  Great to see him.  One of the turkeys was for him and Judy anyway, so now he could take it with him.  But Chris was a bit frantic.  "He would come when the house is a mess."  I didn't even think about that.  Don't think he did either. 

 

All in all it was a day of the unexpected.  Unexpected phone call in the middle of the night.  Unexpected donations.  Unexpected grease.  Unexpected visit.  Made me think of that verse about the unexpected – the thief.

John 10:10 says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

 

Father, thank you for the unexpected – the surprises you send into our lives every day.  Bless the Gages and Tyrone.  Keep your hand on Chris' mom.  Amen.


No comments: