Thursday, November 27, 2008

November 26 – “Groaning”

There was no school this week, so we cleaned the church today. It is amazing to see how the Seaside Christian Academy building looks. The sides are almost up already, and Chris' comment was, "It has windows." She also added "I wish we had windows." I wonder how much we will be able to get done before our expected shortfall hits? But then, God is God. He has provided the money so far, and he can sure come up with another $150,000 or so.



My job today was to write the church's name on our two new outside garbage cans. Our old ones floated away somewhere. I found a few black permanent markers and headed out amidst the construction crew. I didn't look for stencils or anything. I just drew out the block capital letters freehand – "SEASIDE CHURCH." Of course I also added a little picture of the famous Kilroy – the little guy with the long nose and big eyes looking over a wall. I figured if someone decided to steal the cans, they would at least know they were being watched. I had to go back and color in the lettering, though. When I backed up, I really couldn't see it too well. I guess that decision caused me to take too long. Before I knew it Chris was there wondering what I was doing. I'll finish next week.



We stopped at Sonic for a cherry limeade slush – and some food. We had another outdoor dining experience, this time sitting in our porch rocking chairs. One of our neighbors had a crew texturing his walls. Another is already painting. The lady across the street asked to borrow the power washer again. The lady living in the trailer in her front yard took it with her when she went somewhere for Thanksgiving. She'll be back next week. We have our building permit and are waiting for the electrician to get us power to the house. On the one hand, if we're really deep-down honest, we feel a little bit jealous of those guys. But on the other hand, it's exciting as well. Something is happening. The neighborhood is coming back. What looked so dead for so long is showing signs of life.



Our main goal today was to get the quilt chests out of Mom's garage and clean them up for their trip to Bay City tomorrow. Chris had just picked them up for her mom right before the storm, so they have been delayed – in an "I-can-sure-understand-what-they-must-be-feeling" limbo. Finally, after two months, they were making their trip home. Chris and I are sure ready for our trip home. The house we're in is amazing. People have been great to us. But we want to go home. For the first time in my life I think I feel a taste of the longing for heaven I'm supposed to be feeling all the time.



2 Corinthians 5:1-9 says, "Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.


Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it."



Father, I do a lot of groaning, but it's usually related to some complaint or physical pain. Keep this sense of longing I feel now for my Sycamore home alive in me. But make it for my real home – the one with you. Amen.


No comments: