Saturday, November 1, 2008

November 1 – “Football. Band. Tunnel.”

I slept until 8:00 today.  I can't remember the last time I made it that far.  I don't think it was because I was all that tired.  As it turned out, though, I was going to need it.  Zakary taught me a new game.  He called it "Football, Band, Tunnel."  Now, to understand the game, all you have to do is recall the last high school football game you attended.  When the teams enter the field for the first time and at half time, they run under and through a banner that tears away.  Hence, the Tunnel part of Zak's game.  We held a blanket and he ran back and forth, smashing through every time like the winning quarterback.  The football part was easy to figure out.  He had a little Zak-sized football and we tackled each other on the carpet – over and over.  That left band.  And he threw himself into that role with just as much gusto as he used throwing me to the carpet.  He shook maracas or beat a drum, or waved a baton while marching, skipping, and running around the house, all while singing and making musical instrument noises.  What struck me was how he was able to give all his energy to each part of the game.  Each part was the most exciting thing he had ever done.

 

We also went to Loew's today to look around.  It was another chance for Chris to gather information about what she wants our house to look like.  We looked at refrigerators and cabinets and sinks and faucets and stovetops.  I was kind of scared the whole time.  See, earlier this week we went to Galveston's Home Depot and Chris was pretty overwhelmed by all the possibilities.  She was frustrated, too, because they didn't have any brochures she could take home and study.  But this time she did great.  Plenty of brochures.  And Josh was with us so she could explain it all to him.  He's a great listener.  I was overwhelmed before we ever got there.  I think I could do OK if it was just a kitchen, or just a bathroom, or even just one thing at a time.  But it's everything, all at once.  I have reached the point where I really don't care what color the countertops are or where we put the pantry.  I just want it all to be over with.  Surprise me. 

Kitchen.  Bathroom.  Pantry.   Is there a "most important thing" here?  Where should we put our energy? 

 

Or maybe … Football.  Band.  Tunnel.  It's not that one is more important than the other.  They're all great fun, each in its own way. 

 

Something theological comes to mind.  It's about salvation.  There is a beginning part to it.  You begin the relationship with Jesus through prayer and making a commitment.  There is also an ongoing part.  As we live our life trying to become more like Jesus, we are in the process of being saved.  And when we get to heaven we will be saved from all we have to experience in this life.  Three parts.  Is one more important?  Or are they all great fun, each in its own way?  I think I'll go with the fun part.

 

Ephesians 2:4-10 says, "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

 

Father, thanks for making our life with you a "football, band, tunnel" kind of journey.  Amen.


No comments: