Saturday, November 15, 2008

November 14 – “Better than Santa Claus”

What happened today that I can see some great spiritual truth in? It's hard to write something every day if I start out like that. Makes me forget the little things that are usually where the greatest spiritual truth is. Remember the little things.



I began the day at the computer, with a cup of coffee and the flood insurance contents list. The adjuster called and said she would be starting on our claim Sunday or early Monday. The list itself was so hard. It was finding replacement costs for everything from washing machines to a Murder She Wrote board game. How specific do I need to be here? What I began to realize was that the internet replacement cost research was showing that it would cost a lot more to replace our stuff than we ever dreamed. And a lot of it we would never be able to really replace – the bed we had slept in since we got married was the one my Grandaddy gave my Nani for a wedding present. Chris' piano. The bunk beds I had slept in as a boy. The lamp Chris' Dad made in high school shop class.



I welcomed the break when Nathan and April got back from their doctor's appointment with new 4-D photos of Cailyn. She's looking prettier and prettier every day. Two and a half pounds, I think Nathan said. Looks like she'll come early. That's my granddaughter.



I had a meeting this afternoon with a guy from Brownwood and his wife. He's meeting with some local pastors to develop a powerpoint about Ike and our needs. His plan is to distribute it in his area and see if he can raise some support for us. Really nice guy. Has back problems. We could relate on that.



When they left I went over to a neighbor's house. Her kids had been there tearing out sheetrock and were finishing up for the day. I encouraged them to use whatever supplies and tools we had in our garage.



I made a quick stop on the way home to mail a package at our make-shift post office. It's a trailer parked in front of the old building. I also stopped at Home Depot to get a cap for an exposed gas line in our house. It's amazing just how busy that place is. A lot of building going on. That's good for Galveston.



When I got home I decided to fish for awhile. Heard we're about to get a blustery cold front, so this might be my last chance for awhile. It was gorgeous weather. Very relaxing. Didn't get a bite.



Chris got home not long after I reeled in to take a break and just sit on the dock. I still get as excited as a kid at Christmas when she's been gone and I know she's about to get back. I kept watching the road. I finally couldn't stand it any longer and called her. Sure enough, she was in Hitchcock. Just down the road. It's better than Santa Claus. Someone I love was gone and now is back.



Reminds me of what the Father says after the prodigal son returned home. "But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate." (Luke 15:22-24)


OK, so she wasn't lost. But it's still causes my heart to jump when she comes home. Every time.



Father, thank you for that jump in my heart when Chris returns. You have given me a precious gift in her. Bless her. Amen.


No comments: