Saturday, November 22, 2008

November 21 – “The Button”

Today I spent the entire morning trying to figure out how to get a song to play while a powerpoint presentation was being shown.  I struggled with it on my desktop for an hour or so, then switched to the newer version on my laptop.  I called Kel and had him trying, but his screen and mine didn't seem to match.  But he couldn't find the right button on his screen, either.  I figured out how to get the song started, but when the second slide came on, the song stopped.  I knew there had to be a simple button somewhere.  It took over two hours to finally (accidentally) discover THE BUTTON.  I thought I was home free.  But then I had to get the two songs I wanted to play to match up with the slides.  That meant assigning how long each slide would appear on the screen before moving to the next one.  Then … well, suffice it to say that I'm still not finished, and I have to have it by tomorrow morning.  Is there another button that I don't know about?

 

I did a wedding at the Seaside Resort last night.  Just the couple, her sister, and three kids.  It was very simple.  While I did that, Chris cleaned the church.  And then she dropped me off at Kel's for "Guy's Night Out."  Every so often this group of guys gets together for something fun.  Great relationship builder.  Last night was supper at Gringos and a movie that didn't start until 10:30.  A bit late for us old timers.  Speaking of old timers, my friend Clay was there.  Made it feel like I had someone my own age to play with.  He brought a guy with him who went to school with my little brother.  Small world.

 

I couldn't get that whole button thing out of mind, though.  I know a lot of people think of Christianity as The Button.  They think once they have it, every problem will be solved.  Not so much.  Reminded me again of the Great Commission.  The promise in Matthew 28:20 is, "… surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  Not to take away all our problems, but to walk with us through them. 

 

Father, I know you'll keep on walking beside us through this whole reconstruction thing.  I'm just afraid of the days I don't want to walk any more.  On those days, will you please give me a hug … or a shove … or a swift kick?  Whatever you think I need the most.  Amen.


No comments: