Friday, April 13, 2012

April 13 – “The scientist experiments”

 
 
Chris took Mom to the dentist yesterday.  Mom was behind on getting some fillings redone.  Chris expected to be done in about an hour, but as it turned out they had made two separate appointments, one for a cleaning and one for the dentist to actually do his work.  That kept them there for three hours.  And there is not much excitement in a three hour visit to the dentist, that's for sure.  I've been personally avoiding going for at least two years now.  I'm supposed to have some kind of a cap or something like that put on top of a filling I had.  That's how Chris keeps me in line.  She threatens to make a dentist appointment for me.  One of these days she's going to follow through on those threats.  I know she will.  So I'm being good.
 
While they were there Kel brought Micah and Josiah over to play.  Jachin and his Mom were at the museum hob-knobbing with King Tut.  Kel had some work to get done, so the younger two were scheduled for a few hours with the grandparents.  Chris texted me shortly after they arrived, asking if they were there yet.  Here's a quick look at our texting interchange:
Chris: Are the boys there yet?
Me: Yep.  Micah wants to play Pokemon.  Josiah is sewing.  He emptied out all your straight pins.
Chris: Where did he find pins?
Me: In your sewing box over by the back window.
Chris: Great!  Who was watching him?
Me: Watching? Were we supposed to watch?
 
I don't think she was all that amused.  Josiah came through just fine, by the way.  The only comment he had about the whole thing when confronted by the papa-razzi was, "Uh Oh." 
 
Micah was kind of torn between two desires the whole time he was here.  He really wanted me to play his Pokemon card game.  And we did that.  At least I think we did.  I still have no idea about the hidden intricacies and strategies involved in the game.  After all, I'm only 58 years old and he's what? 5?  That gives him a decidedly unfair advantage.  I was much better at the game I suggested, and the little boy in him connected with the idea in no time.  So we headed outside to go on a snail hunt.  When he realized that the number of prey far outweighed any possible thoughts of insect rights preservationists, he armed himself with Chris' little trowel shovel and we began our quest in earnest.  Now my usual tactic in dealing with the vermin is to toss them over into the vast abyss that is the jungle next door.  Cailyn seems to approve of that approach.  Not so much Micah.  He is after all a boy.  No.  His idea kept them on site and carried more of a scientific, experimental bent.  His first thought was that all-time favorite biological experience - dissection.  He tried to chop off their heads with an edge of the shovel.  Failing that (it's amazing how fast those little buggers are at slinking back into their shells), he decided the next best course of action would be to bury them and see if they could tunnel their way out.  That really got his blood flowing – bugs, dirt, little boy – it just doesn't get much better than this.  Sadly, only one of the snails managed to dig his way to the surface.  In fact I was very surprised when that happened.  I think I might have rewarded such effort with a free carnival ride over the fence into Jungle Wonderland.  But the little scientist wasn't satisfied.  He wanted to see if the snail could do it twice.  So he brought in some more dirt, covered the snail again, and this time patted the dirt down.  It was essential that the circumstances be changed just a bit to make the data more inclusive.  I haven't checked yet this morning, but I don't think the snail made it out this time.  I'm sure Dr. Micah is feverishly compiling his data and coming up with an array of conclusions for his next scientific journal article.  Be watching for that one.  You heard it first right here.
 
1 Peter 3:8-9 says, "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.  Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."
 
Father, keep the inquisitive spirit alive in Micah and Josiah.  It makes for exciting days every day.  Amen.

No comments: