Sunday, February 12, 2012

February 12 – “Rainouts and rescues”

 
 
We woke up yesterday expecting to go to another of Jachin's flag football games.  We even arrived at the field right on time, a first for us this season.  However, there were no players on the field.  Fortunately, Kel and Christina and the boys were sitting in their car in the parking lot, so we sauntered over.  Alas, once again the game had been rained out.  Except it was a beautiful day.  Not a cloud in the sky.  It was a bit brisk, especially in the wind, but this was after all, football.  The problem was the large lake that had accumulated right in the middle of the field.  Can't argue with that one.  Although that would have been one fun football game to watch.  Kind of like the soccer practice we watched one time in Denver when it was snowing.  Funny stuff.
 
Since the game was history, we moved on to Chris list for the day.  First thing was a trip to the naked furniture store.  OK, it's actually bare furniture, but I like to call it like I see it.  Or don't see it, as the case may be.  She has been looking for a bookcase/curio cabinet to put her Precious Moments figurines on.  And I'm all for that.  They have been boxed up in a back closet since Christina wrapped them all up after Hurricane Ike.  We're not sure which ones made it through without getting broke, so it'll be good to take a peek.  And that will get rid of yet more boxes around here.  We saw some possibilities, and they will make pretty much whatever she wants.  I think she liked the one she saw over at the Amish furniture store better though.
 
I also got started on another of my garage projects.  I began cleaning up an old table that was in my grandmother's house for as far back as I can remember.  It was moved from there to Mom and Dad's back porch when she died.  I thought I would have to sand it, so I did a small area with the only scrap of sandpaper I could find.  I think it has two or three coats of paint on it, but that shouldn't be too hard to remove.  When the sandpaper gave out I decided to try out some of the super cleaner we got after Ike.  Amazingly, the table came out really clean.  I still need to sand before we paint it, because it's glossy paint.  And there is lots of rust on the metal legs, but it's not as bad as it could have been.  Here's why … my Dad painted everything – usually red.  Even his tools.  So his red paint protected the legs a lot.  I wish I had time to do more of this project stuff.  Maybe we'd get our garage cleaned out.
 
Forgot to mention that we went to Home Depot to look at lawn mowers and weed eaters.  Looks like we'll need to buy another one of each.  The weed eater has completely fallen apart.  It still turns, so I'll keep it for getting into hard to reach places, but it really hurts when one of those things smacks against your leg.  The lawn mower is another issue.  I guess it could probably be repaired.  A friend did that for us last season.  I'm sure not any good at small engine repair, though.  I think we may just get another one and give the old one to the guy in our church who runs a lawn care business.  I'm sure he can do something with it.
 
Speaking of church, time to get ready.  I start a class on archaeology today, and it's been a long time since I have waded through that material.
 
Isaiah 61:1-3 says, "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion — to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."
 
Father, please send that Spirit on me today.  And on Kel.  And Josh.  And Dennis.  And all the others who are preparing to speak for you later today.  And not just those who will do it from the pulpit, either.  Nathan, as he cares for his wife and daughter.  Chris, as she struggles to get Mom out of bed and to church.  Christina and Christi, as the work with the little ones.  April, as she heals.  Amen.

No comments: