Saturday, February 13, 2010

February 13 – “Olympics”

 

The Winter Olympics have begun.  Or should that be "has begun"?  I must say that growing up here in Galveston sure didn't cause my love for the winter games to grow.  Or much of my interest for that matter.  Even our stint of living in Denver didn't help much.  Now, I watched the movie about that hockey team that beat the Russians.  That was fun, until I remembered that the game lasted a whole lot longer than they showed in the movie.  Probably a lot more boring, too. And you have to be a little beyond crazy to do the ski jumping off that huge hill.  Speed skating is at least a visible race  between two people, head to head.   Anyway, we watched the finals of the long ski jumping today.  I'm really hoping that means I won't have to watch figure skating later on.  Hurry up, Astros.

 

We actually took another step related to redoing our house after Hurricane Ike.  We bought some storage cabinets from Home Depot with a gift card I got for doing a wedding awhile back.  Now Chris is redoing that strange little room behind our TV.  It's been called a sewing room, a toy room, a laundry room, and on a more honest note, a junk room.  She emptied out the room of everything except one shelf of toys, the freezer, the refrigerator, and Fritz.  He appointed himself supervisor of the project and refused to leave.  We put together the cabinets and set them in place.  Then for the rest of the evening, Chris put everything back.  Mom offered to help one time, but Chris told her she didn't know what she wanted next.  Mom wanted to know what was in every box and who made it and what story was behind it.  I stayed out of the way.  Way out of the way.  Except of course when Chris wanted to show me something.  Then I came running and paid close attention.  She really does have a lot quilting stuff.  Five or six different unfinished ones in all sizes.  Some she began and hasn't finished.  Others her mom gave her to finish or to start from the beginning.  The one I want to see finished is a blue one she started back before Ike.  It was from a club she was in where they did one little section every month.  She said all it needs now "is to be quilted."  Yeah.  The quilt needs to be quilted.  So what has she been doing to it all along?  Actually I think I understand what that means, and knowing that I think I know terrifies me.

 

Psalms 61:4 says, "I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings."

 

Father, thank you for your shelter.  And help Josh and Christi and the boys keep warm.  Amen.


No comments: