Friday, May 26, 2017

May 26 – “About a million”

I heard a great Josiah-ism the other day when they were here for a visit.  He approached me from the side, so I had to ask him to repeat it so I could concentrate on what he was saying.   Not sure I should have done that.  He said, rather nonchalantly, “Hey, DadDad.  You know that part of girls inside them where babies grow?  I think the most you can do in there is about a million.”  So, now, how would you respond to that statement?  It wasn’t a direct question, so I didn’t really have to say anything.  But he was coming to me with an implied query.  So how could I respond that would satisfy his hunger for knowledge?  What would befit the situation better than, “Ask you Mom and Dad”?  All I muster at the time was, “A million?  All at once???”  Apparently my answer sufficed on the six-year-old level.  He laughed heartily and went about his merry way.  Whew.  Kel, it might already be time for “The Talk.”

Someone finally came to mow 40 Steps (the lot next door) yesterday.  Chris and I were heading out for our walk, so she struck up a conversation with him.  Looks like closing on the property will be sometime today, and the purchaser does plane to build a house there.  We can only hope it will be for a single family permanent dwelling.  Stay tuned for that development.

My computer informed me yesterday that it had downloaded the next major upgrade to Windows 10.  It wanted to schedule an appointment with me for the installation, which, I was informed, “will probably take longer than normal, since the upgrades are extensive.”  Now it’s scary when the computer even recognizes that it will be out of commission for longer than it should be.  It offered to do it later when I wasn’t so busy.  I took it up on the suggestion.  At first I set it for ten p.m.  Then I realized that I would have to leave the computer on all night to do it that way.  I usually turn it off when we go to bed.  So instead I put it off for an hour and ran it while we ate lunch.  After we ate, I was cleaning out a cabinet in the same room (needed a place to store an old, operational Xbox that my brother gave me), so I was able to keep an eye on its progress.  I was excited when it appeared to be complete, but then I saw that dreaded all-blue screen with one word in the center … “Hi.”  That began another process of accepting protocols and such.  It finally got done after a total of at least two and a half hours.  I haven’t seen any big changes.  It did try to get me to switch internet engines back to the all-new, enhanced Explorer.  I have been using Chrome.  I clicked onto Explorer to see what all the fuss was about.  Guess what I saw on the very first screen?  An error code.  Yep.  So much for the big update there.  Chrome worked just fine.  But I’m updated now.  For the time being.  At least until they figure out an update to fix the error code on the update.

Hebrews 10:35-36 says, “Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.  For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.”


Father, thank you for a six-year-old’s take on biology.  Fun stuff.  Amen.

No comments: