Saturday, May 13, 2017

May 13 – “A happy hour slushie kind of day”

Early morning.  Luke woke up and saw me at the computer.  He said, “You need to go to bed so I can wake you up.”  So I went to bed.  Chris had just finish making it, so the two of us climbed back in and waited.  Mere seconds later we felt a tug at the covers near our feet and suddenly we had an extra passenger on board.  “I’m in the middle” had arrived, and so the day began.

Later on in the kitchen Christi had a dilemma: “Luke, I I’m missing some makeup.  Do you know …?”
And before she could finish her thought, Luke brightened up: “I know where some might be,” and he raced off into his bedroom.
Sure enough the exact missing pieces of makeup were right where he thought they might be.  What a little hero. 

Since Luke had school and the older boys, Josh included, discovered that I had brought that Harry Potter prequel DVD I tried so hard to watch on the way up here, guess what we did while eating lunch?  I saw a few more scenes that I didn’t remember, so I must have stayed awake through a little more of it.  Josh and the boys, and by then even Christi, were all enthralled by the action, so I guess they liked it.  The rest of the afternoon we were inundated with talk and play of all manner of magical creatures.

After we picked up Luke we went Mother’s Day shopping with Josh and the boys.  They were really torn between the riding lawn mower and the go carts.  Sadly, both were vetoed.  Not because they were bad choices, though.  It was strictly a question of economics.  Now we came up with a lot of other possibilities.  Why, every shelf we passed had something on it that Christi really “needed.”  In fact, when she called to check in with us, Josh told her, “We are shopping like men.”  She would have had an array of fine gifts, too, had Chris not been with us.  As it is, though, I think she will be quite happy with the boys’ final selection.  And speaking of home, on the way back there we stopped for a real treat.  Happy hour slushes from Sonic.  Cherry limeade all the way for this old boy.

In an effort to recover some of our physical fitness, we took an evening walk.  Well, the adults walked.  The kids were in one form of wheeled conveyance or another.  Zak slid along on his razor.  Caleb led the way on his bike.  Luke was on a bike, too, complete with training wheels.  AnnaGrace followed the action from her stroller.  Now once at the park we got distracted by the playground equipment and didn’t leave until after eight.  Gotta love daylight savings time.  I’m not sure how many came from that stroll to the park and back, but we ended up with 6,000 plus steps, around two and a half miles, for the day.  Not bad. 

So, then, scheduled portion of the Sneakaway Trip number one, championship basketball, is in the books.
Today we face scheduled portion of the trip number two, Caleb’s baseball game.  Tomorrow we complete the scheduled portion of the mission with number three, AnnaGrace’s dedication. 
Beyond that … who can say what mysteries, what adventures lie ahead. 

Hebrews 8:10-12 says, “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord.  I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts.  I will be their God, and they will be my people.  No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.  For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”


Father, thanks for our happy hour slushie kind of day.  Amen.

No comments: