Friday, May 19, 2017

May 19 – “Some FAT tasting”

Following our tradition of trying things we never would any other time, we backtracked from Luckenbach to a place we noticed from the road.  We knew it was a winery, and that was kind of on our bucket list after our tour of the bourbon factory in Kentucky a few years ago.  This particular one was billed on the internet as the most fun and laid-back place to go.  It was also the cheapest one listed.  That was certainly a plus.

I knew we were in for a treat when we drove up.  They had a huge emblem on the side of the building.  It was a donkey with the word “FAT” inscribed on it.  Not sure I understand the significance, but they did have a real live donkey on the premises. No moose, though.  Outside on the patio I located the restrooms.  Two small silos had been converted into what I can only assume were working toilets.  Neither of us felt the urge to try them out, but they were unique.

The place was surrounded by grapevines.  Pretty impressive view.  Of course when we got inside we found out that they import their grapes from somewhere in North Texas.  And the actual operations are done somewhere else, too.  Not sure why, then, they have a facility near Fredericksburg, but hey, it got us inside.  Guess that explains why it was so inexpensive too.  No tours. 

They pride themselves on doing their own random mixtures of grapes and berries and fruits.  One of them even uses cayenne pepper.  The actual tasting experience was … interesting.  You had to choose from a list posted on the wall.  One side was labeled “sweet” and the other was “dry.”  It’s been years since I had any wine.  I picked dry.  Chris picked, “I’ll just watch.”  I have to be honest here.  Most of the five choices I had were downright nasty.  Some were worse than others, particularly the cayenne pepper one.  Now, I know it’s been a long time since I had wine, but these were really foul.  One of the choices the lady described as “a careful blend of sweet and dry ingredients.”  It tasted more like they were at war with each other and neither side was winning.  I told her that.  I think it surprised her that I was so honest.  I did kind of like the one they made from local peaches.  Maybe because I recognized the flavor a little bit.  Maybe I should have selected “sweet.”  Or held out for one marked “grape-flavored.”

After my five sips Chris decided she would be the designated driver “just in case.”  I love that woman.  Oh, and I even got to keep my tasting glass as a souvenir of the experience. 

Hebrews 9:26 says, “But now he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself.”


Father, I am constantly amazed at the creativity of people who seek to combine things you have created into something new and different.  Makes life fun.  Amen.

No comments: