Wednesday, January 7, 2015

January 7 – “Tough call”

Speaking of Kel’s kids, when they were all over here for Christmas I managed to nab just a few quick moments alone with Josiah.  Seems he had some serious life issues he was dealing with.  Yes, I know.  Josiah is only four years old.  I might have expected something like this from, say, the young fire fighter who decided to join the military and reported for duty yesterday.  But then, Ryan is an adult.  Josiah has a ways to go to reach that milestone. 

But the little guy was totally serious when he came into the study and plopped himself down in one of the rocking chairs to have a discussion with DadDad about where he anticipated his life taking him.  Now one would expect an all-boy youngster like that to have one of the typical career path choices.  You know, fireman (after all, his Uncle Nathan is one) or policeman (they get to shoot guns).  He has grown up in a pastor’s home, and has a pastor uncle and a pastor grandfather, so maybe something in that area would be expected.  His brothers have been homeschooled, as were his Mom and Dad and three of his cousins, so maybe something in the field of education.  And we can’t leave out the ongoing dream of parents everywhere … something in the field of medicine.  His Grandmother and Aunt April are both nurses.  So where would this impressionable young man, at the ripe old age of four, seek to direct his life.  Who would he desire to emulate as his mentor, his coach, his hero? 

Now, you have to understand.  I didn’t ask Josiah anything when he joined me.  I said hi and he said hi, and we were perfectly content to sit quietly for a few moments.  That’s why I was in there in the first place, to be where the noise level was a few decibels lower.  But he’s just four years old.  His idea of a few moments respite is somewhat more literal than mine.  A few moments to me means as many as I can get.  To him, though, a few moments is more like … a few moments.  He was ready for something else to happen.  So he initiated the conversation.  Well, not conversation so much as announcement. 

Josiah:  “DadDad, when I grow up I’m going to be a Texans guy, I think.”
Ah, sorry, family.  J.J. Watt is just bigger than life around here.  We all lost out.  He thought for a few more seconds before continuing.  I could see the wheels turning, so I just listened.

Josiah: “Yeah.  I think I’ll be a Texans guy, but maybe not, because it’s pretty “work” and you could get injured.”
Now that’s perceptive.  Professional football is a lot of work and there are indeed a lot of injuries.  But if not that, then what?  I simply agreed with him about the work and injury part and waited to see where he would head next.

Josiah: “Yeah.  I’ll be a Texans guy, but I will also be a Air Force guy.”
Pro football to the Air Force.  Quite a leap.  And all for the sake of avoiding pain.  I wanted to ask him about the expectations for injury in the Air Force, but I wisely kept my mouth shut.  He obviously had a bit more to say.  After Another brief period of pondering, he had just a bit more to add.

Josiah: “But I will just shoot down bad guys.”

And with his career plans all settled, he was back in action.  Back to the more important issues at hand.  Back to being a kid.  For now, I’m pretty sure that is the wisest course of action he can take.  After all, baseball season is coming up.  And Craig Biggio was elected into the Hall of Fame.  Think about the options.  Biggio and baseball.  Watt and football.  Or shooting down bad guys.  Tough call.

Proverbs 21:2 says, “All a man's ways seem right to him, but the Lord weighs the heart.”

Father, draw Josiah - and Ryan - to you over the years they have ahead of them so that their hearts will guide them in the right way.  Amen.

No comments: