Tuesday, January 13, 2015

January 13 – “The new tire ordeal”

We dropped the car off at Firestone the other day.  Needed two more tires.  Not that we have had a problem … yet.  We replaced the other two not quite a year ago.  Then we had to replace all the tires on the truck, so we have been working on paying that all off.  And … We did it.  Woohoo, right?  Now we can start over again.  The salesman tried one of those typical upgrade tricks.  I told him I wanted the comparable tire to the ones we just bought.  He pulled everything up on his computer, and then “couldn’t find” the exact match.  In fact, no one in their system even carried it any more.  The closest thing was $100 per tire more expensive than last time.  I told him to look again.  Finally, after an exhausting search (for him, anyway), he located the same tire.  And it was just a few dollars higher than last time.  I can handle that.  He told me, “They changed the name of the tire.”  I asked what they were calling it now, and he showed me the computer screen.  The name was exactly the same.  Everything was exactly the same.  Except for the number 2 they inserted right after the tire’s original name.  Seems like that would have showed up on the first search he ran … right after the old ones.  But what do I know?  I’m just the ignorant old-guy consumer making a purchase I know nothing about.    Sigh. 

I thought we had it down that all we wanted was the tires. Well, the new tires on the back and the ones on back rotated to the front.  Guess not.  About 45 minutes after the car was supposed to be ready, we finally got a call from them.  And he began his up-sell spiel.  “As we were putting your tires on we noticed a few things.  Your windshield wiper blades …”  I stopped him right there.  What possible reason could he have had to even look at the wiper blades if they were working on the tires?  I assured him that we only wanted the new tires.  He agreed to comply and said they were almost done.  He would call again when they finished.  Should be about fifteen minutes.

Sure enough, about an hour later, he did indeed call.  To let me know that the alignment was off and would like them to get that calibrated correctly?  “Only $79.99 for a one-time deal or $179.99 for a lifetime alignment.”  Well, at least this time it was something they were supposed to be checking related to the tires.  I asked him to print out the readings and told him I would bring the car back later to get that done when I could.  I’ll get my mechanic who I trust, Dennis, to check it out.  He doesn’t do alignments at his shop, but he’ll translate the readout for me as to its degree of importance.  Heading his way this morning anyway for an oil change.  Gotta get the car freeway ready for our trip this weekend to Caleb’s birthday party in Waco.

What an ordeal.  But then it’s one of those I don’t mind putting up with when I consider the alternative.  Safety first.  I guess that’s a bit of my Dad rising up from within me.  Like checking all my kids’ inspection stickers.  I still haven’t gone all the way over though.  I still let our gas readout get below half a tank before filling up.  I’ll have to start working on that one.

Psalms 16:1 says, “Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge.”

Father, it’s good to know I can count on you for the protection that counts.  I’ll do my part and keep the car as safe as I can.  Amen.

No comments: