Saturday, January 3, 2015

January 3 – “Surviving Spring Cleaning”

We are well into the January phase of our Spring cleaning efforts.  I know.  It’s mid-winter. But once Chris gets started cleaning up after taking down the Christmas decorations, there is no stopping her.  Her process is pretty regimented.  She starts in one room and does her best to ignore other rooms until that one is complete to her satisfaction.  Of course she does get side-tracked on occasion, mostly with my help.  One of my favorite tactics is to ask her a question about something in another room.  Many times just that simple move jogs her away from her focus.  I think it’s good for her.  Keeps her from getting too intense.  Besides, it’s kind of fun to see if I can actually do it.

Another tactic is for me to get started on a job of my own.  Yesterday, for example, I decided to clean out my closet.  Now you have to understand, my closet is not all that big.  And a large portion of the floor is reserved for the plastic tubs housing my baseball card collection.  I start there and everything else has to find its spot around it.  I did make some semi-significant archaeological / anthropological discoveries while in there.  I found the four pair of blue jeans, size 36/34, that were donated to us right after Hurricane Ike.  I rolled them up four inches or so, cinched up the waist, and wore one of them every day for untold months while we worked on the house. They will find a new home through the Salvation Army.  Cailyn was over, so she helped as well, and she found a beret that you might see me sporting on occasion.  She forced me to wear it while watching her brush her teeth.  Don’t understand that last sentence?  You will when you become a grandparent.  Another find was one of the failed attempts to help me hear the TV.  It is a set of earphones that are supposed to pick up the TV signal so you can turn it as loud as you want and not disturb others in the room … or house … or neighborhood.  I never could get them to work for me.  Of course all that was pre-hearing aids.  The rearrangement process also made it possible to insert a closet organizer set of three drawers.  They were quickly filled with excess t-shirts and the like.  Hidden under the rubble were two pairs of houseshoes.  Guess I’ll have to rotate them. 

The final evasive maneuver that almost always works is to ask where in her closet something is supposed to be stored.  Now to be fair, it is not just a place for her clothes and shoes.  We have all sorts of things stored back there, from Christmas ornaments to photo albums to some of MY stuffed animals that I have accumulated over the years for one reason or another.  Yep.  I’m an old softie.  The thing is, I’m kind of scared to put anything in there, especially without Chris’ knowledge.  It might slip into oblivion and I will never see it again, so I am much more comfortable with her knowing where things are.  Then when I forget what I did with it, I can just ask her.  Not that I ever do that.

We did get one other fairly major move completed.  If you have been to our house you will recall meeting the dolls we have entrapped in glass enclosures.  Chris’ Mom made them, heads and hands and feet and all.  I am fine with their presence because they are trapped in the case and cannot escape and wreak havoc, terrorizing certain unsuspecting household members in the middle of the night.  Even little Luke, when they were over here last week, did his best to free them from their prison, banging on the protective glass with anything his little hands could wrap themselves around.  But alas for the prisoners, he was unsuccessful.  It’s a good thing I’m OK with these particular dolls, too.  In an effort to clear space for completing our wall of bookcases in the front room leading into the den, the Victorian beauty and her two Eskimo cohorts have now been consigned to our bedroom, the ultimate of-limits sight for grandkids.  It is still a bit spooky in there at night, knowing that the wardrobe cabinet in there is full of dolls, there is one on the top shelf of my closet missing an appendage or two, one in a basket next to my closet, and now three more that I have to pass right by on my way to the bathroom.  Pray for me.  That late-night bathroom journey gets more and more frequent with each passing year.

Psalms 51:7 says, “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”

Father, thank you that your major Spring cleaning of us only has to happen once.  Help us to stay current with our “pick up and straighten up” confession of sins so we can stay clean in your sight.  Amen.

No comments: