Thursday, October 16, 2014

October 16 – “What a send-off”

There was a veritable boatload of people at the visitation/wake for Alice.  One neighbor commented, “This is the loudest wake I have ever been to.”  If everyone who made his way through the church to pay their respects during the visitation had decided to stay for the memorial, we would have had to get special permission from the Fire Marshall.  As it was, there was standing room only.  And of course the fire fighters were among those who volunteered to remain standing.  Class act, guys.  I’m proud of you.  Among the horde I was able to identify a sheriff deputy, a constable, the current mayor pro-tem, numerous old neighborhood cronies, some of the “new” neighborhood folks, a fireman or two, at least one priest and a deacon, plenty of old friends, and lots of family.  Folks came in dresses or suits and ties, in blue jeans and tee shirts, in Hawaiian shirts and even in uniform.  Alice had touched them as neighbor, mom, grandmother, great-grandmother, interior designer, church member, community activist, or just as good, old-fashioned … well, Alice.

I’m sure a very special part of the service for the family came when Alice’s grandsons each stood before the crowd and led a part of saying the rosary.  Deacon Sam, who led the service, did a great job compiling and presenting a memory from each of Alice’s children.  Rita spoke for the “outlaws,” the spouses of the kids.  They had amassed a remarkable list of one-word descriptions of Alice – Alice from A to Z.  Among the words were things like red, lipstick, parties, and dancing.  One of the grandkids, Marlise, spoke for them.  Each one had said one thing they remembered about their grandmother.  Very sweet. My favorite went something like, “She always noticed me and spoke to me.”  I can relate.  Must have been a middle child.  They asked me to speak for the neighborhood.  I did a pared-down version of the blog post from Monday.  It seemed to be well-received.  I got a lot of comments, and several people asked for a copy of it.  If I missed anyone, I have it on my computer.  Ask me and I’ll mail it to you.

In true Alice form, the end of the service was just the beginning of the party.  Many of that boatload of people reconvened at Alice’s house for barbeque and plenty of fixin’s provided by the Elks.  What a send-off.  By the time we got back to the house, I for one was exhausted. 

Proverbs 3:3-4 says, “Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.  Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.”

Father, may the love and faithfulness displayed in Alice’s life so influence the lives of her children and grandchildren that they themselves become beacons for you.  Amen.

No comments: