Friday, October 10, 2014

October 10 – “On nasal expulsions” (Now, keep an open mind)

Interesting discussion points this morning as Cailyn got ready for school.  She has been having some allergy issues this Fall (as have many others of us), so she grabbed a Kleenex to deal with the latest onslaught.  Nana then recalled when Cousin Josiah had similar issues.  Now, as you may or may not know, boys and girls often deal with such facts of life on an entirely different scale then do girls.  The girls tend to be more … delicate than the guys.  For Cailyn, the task at hand was “wiping her face with a tissue.”  Or to push the envelope just a bit, perhaps she actually had to “blow her nose,” although that was not too easy to admit.  Anything beyond those two designations was, of course “just gross.” 

Josiah, on the other hand, is all boy.  And not only that, he has not one but two older brothers to emulate in his life-task of learning the ins and outs of the human respiratory system.  That is, after all, the function of which we speak, is it not?  Breathing in and out.  And if other things come out in cooperation with the air … well, then, that’s just a bonus.  And for Josiah, that bonus activity is aptly described as “drinking my booger juice.”  Apparently such a designation is not at all pleasing to the palate of the fairer sex, however descriptive or accurate it may be.  Now I have been around little girls a time or two in the last five years.  Enough to have learned that when you have them on the run, you must press your advantage.  I mean, come on, who can deny the pleasures of finally achieving success in a mining expedition that often takes the better part of the day to accomplish?  The feel of the tiniest piece of tissue slipping and sliding, or crusty and hanging on for dear life, and finally making its way through the nasal cavities and exploding onto the tip of a finger – revealed for the world to see – success.  Ah, I remember it well.  So well, in fact, that from the midst of my reverie I offered one final potential designation for those remnants of respiratory regurgitation.  Ready for it?  Snotley Snacks.

Ah, I live for the days when I can’t think of anything to write about in my blog, don’t you?

Psalms 143:8 says, “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you.  Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.”

Father, thank you for breath and life and humor.  They kind of go hand in hand.  Or maybe hand in nose?  Amen.

No comments: