Tuesday, October 14, 2014

October 14 – “It’s freezing out here”

Cailyn was in a great mood this morning.  We have begun playing a game with her to encourage a faster getting ready for school period.  Chris will challenge her to beat a ten count or I will race her to the bathroom to brush her teeth.  She never loses that race.  This morning Chris asked her which one of us was going to “comb your hair as smooth as silk”?  She started into what we thought was going to be the old traditional “Eeny meenie miney mo” selection process.  Every kid knows that one, right?  I think it’s part of their DNA.  I can’t even remember where or when I first heard it as a kid.  It was just something you picked up as a rite of passage.  The words may be slightly different from generation to generation, but the idea is always the same.  The thing is, when she got the actual words out, I had to do a double take.  They went something like this:

Ee ree my oh
Catch a tie to
My Mommy took me shopping
For this one.

Like I said.  Not the same words, but apparently the same meaning.  I won.  Or lost.  I got the privilege of brushing her hair. 

When we left for school she raced us to the car, assuring us that she didn’t need her jacket.  I grabbed it anyway and tossed it next to her “in case you decide you want it.”  As we walked up to the school, her conversation went something like …
While still in the car: “I’m putting my jacket on.” 
After two steps: “It’s freezing out here.” 
She pulled her hands into her sleeves: “I’m so cold.”
Both hands in sleeves and in pockets: “How is it so cold out here?” 
As we approach the front door: “My face is frozen like this.”  She wore a cute little crooked smile.  Needless to say, she was excited to reach the front door. 

Then on my way back to the car, I had to chuckle.  Virtually every child I passed was having his own version of the same conversation.  They were freezing.  Welcome to winter in Galveston.  Oh, by the way the temperature was 63 degrees.  Brrr.

Acts 28:2 says, “The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold.”

Father, thank you for the refreshing coolness today.  Amen.

No comments: