Sunday, October 12, 2014

October 12 – “Being proud”

I woke up at 2:30 a.m. yesterday.  One of those days where I couldn’t figure out why, but I was just awake.  Tried some praying and even some crossword puzzles (they are usual a knockout blow), but nothing worked to make me sleepier.  Then Chris joined me around 4:00, which is really unheard of.  Actually she received a text that woke her up, and we ended up doing about an hour and a half of some early morning text-counseling.  We finally gave in and just got up and “began our day.”

And what a day it was.  We started out with some grandparent appearances.  The first was a jaunt to League City to see Josiah play in some of his soccer game.  The little dude did a good job, too.  He is the youngest guy on the team of four and five-year-olds.  He’s the one who often gets distracted and plays with bugs and flowers.  This time, though, the coach let him be goalie.  All the motivation he needed.  He made at least two saves of shots on goal.  What, me?  A proud grandfather? 

Next we raced (no, we didn’t actually race.  Chris was driving, but she stays the speed limit) to Cailyn’s football game.  She doesn’t play football, although she would be pretty tough to bring down, especially if you smeared her fingernail polish or knocked her headband askew.  Actually she was being a cheerleader, and this was homecoming day.  Her Mom made her a mum and everything.  We had to be there to get some pictures of that event.  When we got there Nathan was heading to WalMart to get some drinks for the girls, so I joined him.  By the time we got back to the field, it was pouring down rain.  But this is football.  In Texas.  Not gonna let a little Island dampness stop the big game, right?  And it didn’t.  They played and cheered right through it all.  When the rain stopped it was so hot I thought the little girls were gonna pass out.  I knew I was well on my way.  Cloud cover finally gave us some relief, though, and we made it through the two football games she was cheering for.  Again, I have to confess to being one proud Grandad.  Oh, and as a bonus, I got to see one of Seaside’s finest, Will, play in the second game.  He even had a chance to run the ball.  Way to go, Will.  I’m proud of you.

I really wanted and intended to go watch the police versus fire department charity softball game as well.  Great name for it: Guns and Hoses.  But we went home, I took a quick shower and had a bite to eat, and I collapsed on the couch exhausted to wait for Chris to get out of the shower.  I woke up somewhere around 3:30 or 4.  She was still asleep.  And I totally forgot about the softball game.  I think it hit me about 6:30 that there was something else I wanted to do.  So sorry I didn’t make it to cheer my fire department guys on, but I’m sure they acquitted themselves admirably.  There are some more of my kids that I an extremely proud of.

Psalms 145:7 says “The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.”

Father, thank you for surrounding me with reasons to be proud.  Of course you are the ultimate reason, though.  Amen.

No comments: